Left hook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Got two more, one yesterday one today. Yesterday's one was pretty funny, the motorist was so disconcerted that they kerbed the car during the left turn. How I laughed!

Christ the nearly over the bonnet one really scrared me.Haven't had that one in a long time (touchwood) Just some twat recently in a van who wasn't concentrating because he was holding a mobile phone in one hand and was looking down at the pedals in his van...presumably for something he had dropped.As I had sussed he wasn't concentrating I was on the alert.

Looks to me like the van driver was trying to bully you into the kerb.IMHO.

Tynan

Veteran
ditto, that always the one that worries me the queue turning right like that the first one is good, the second one is cheeky and the third just goes in blind, amazing

you seemed to stop bloody quick there

the long pause before he went was odd

Tynan

Veteran
that's the problem though isn't it, you really can't tell if they're going to go or not, especially if there's another lane of traffic to your right, even on days when it all clicks I'm more or less at a loss as to what to do on a couple of spots like your one to do more that try to make eye contact and hope for the best

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Back to left hooks, here's the one from Saturday. It's a pity I didn't get footage of the kerbing, the vehicle bounced well high into the air!!!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIzOdIXZCY

It's just MS Movie Maker, Terminator, the pure basics.

Molecule Man

What a git.
Is that just before the Catford gyratory?
I think I recognise that junction where the idiot turned off, it's a bit awkward whatever you do.
I often turn left there and that requires quite a bit of care too. The road narrows right down to barely a car's width, but that doesn't stop fools attempting to overtake through the junction.
I don't know if you could have avoided that one. It looked like one of the thankfully rare drivers who just doesn't register the presence of bikes.
I had a similar experience further up the road by Lewisham Hospital last week. Some idiot pulled up alongside me while I was in the bus lane and turned half way across my lane before noticing I was there. If he hadn't stopped I would have hit him.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, it's just south of the Catford gyratory on the A21. I think I was too far to the left really, I should have negotiated out after the WVM so I was riding to the right of the manhole covers. That would have been good for the blue car waiting on the left at the first t-junction, it probably would have stopped the muppet in the Audi from left hooking me, and would have been better on the two cars waiting at the junction just past.

Madness! Complete madness. All for the sake of a few seconds. You need a wee sign at you back that you can flash when you feel in any danger:

I'm someones son(daughter, dad, mother etc). Don't do it!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The one time I have been offed by a car was just the same as your nearly over the bonnet vid, only I did go over the bonnet. The day before I had just bought a brand new cycle light and five minutes before I had had some shout to me about how bright it was, but it wasn't bright enough for a driver who wasn't looking to see...

Yes hairy jock I can understand that why they don't always see us.I have been doing my assessment into it and I have 2xLED which isn't a lot really.One is a bright LED and the other is flashing...combined with HI-VIZ reflective...It's not all about light's I should know this being a train driver for twenty years and knowing other lights can blend in causing you/me/anyone to make mistakes meaning there is actually something I know more about than BentMikey.

I did my own tests in the 90's with lighting combinations and with/without HI-VIZ and has come to my own conclusions.

Oh I wonder why they cal it HI-VIZ doh!