Left or Right

Which side would you like to travel on, on the roads...

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As a left-hander, I have to say that driving abroad (on the right) feels a lot more natural to me :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Fnaar said:
As a left-hander, I have to say that driving abroad (on the right) feels a lot more natural to me :biggrin:

I was on a quiet road the other day and it was pretty narrow anyhow and was on the right for a bit and it felt ok...so it'd be RIGHT for me too ! :rolleyes:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I quite like driving on the right, but I don't think we should be too quick to prejudge, or make any sudden changes. I think if we are going to switch, it should be phased in over a period, to give people a chance to get used to the idea.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think the logistics of changing the UK would be enormous, as would the carnage (not straight away when people had it in mind, but a week or so later), so I don't fancy it changing. On the continent, I've managed to drive and ride on the right well enough. So my answer is either - depending on local rules. The one thing I've never done is drive a left hand drive car, so I don't know how well I'd do that - I'm left handed, but fairly ambidextrous. I'm sure I'd get used to it well enough.

Davidc

Guru
The time to have switched would have been immediately after WW2 when most vehicles were old and in need of replacement, and there were far fewer of them. Politically impossible I suspect.

I don't find a problem driving on the right in a left hand drive car. My brain just flips over a few minutes into doing it. I do find it much more difficult in a car with right hand drive, so wouldn't fancy changing here, with the prospect of years of driving RHD cars on the right.

Just wait until the oil runs out and do it then.

tyred

Legendary Member
It would be a logistical nightmare which would cost a fortune. Every roundabout and traffic light would have to be reworked, road signs changed...

I have driven a left hand drive car (in this country). It's not a problem apart from being difficult to overtake slower traffic. Every existing car on the road would then have this problem which would surely lead to an increase in accidents.

Arch

Married to Night Train
We have a short stretch of bike path here in York where you are directed, by arrows on the path, to ride on the right of the path. I've never quite worked out why. It's a segregated bit, by some traffic lights, and sort of leads nowhere in one direction (the other way, it is handy for bypassing a red light). But there are arrows painted on it, indicating that cyclists should pass each other on the right. I should get a pic for the Warrington facility of the month.

In a car, I'm quite comfortable making the switch between left and right, but best if it's in the 'right' sort of car. I.e. in a LHD car on the Continent, in a RHD car in the UK. In a few days I'm taking my own car (RHD naturally) to France and I know overtaking will be that little bit more awkward over there, but then I'm used to it.

I don't think there's any difference nowadays: some motorists from overseas (USA particularly) visiting UK, moan that they find it difficult to change gear with the left hand, but I reckon that's more to do with being used to automatics than anything else. Certainly I don't see any problem!

As for Samoa - what's happening there is pure lunacy IMHO! Let them go their own way if they wish - it's not a huge country and presumably not densely motorised, so perhaps they'll get away with it. See here for the last time that a large country in the developed world (Sweden) made the switch - in 1967. According to the article it went smoothly but was a major upheaval and unpopular with the public.

Cycling - well that's different. I'm more likely to forget which side I should be on when cycling, since I don't have a steering wheel as a 'reference point' (my brakes are swapped over on the bike in France, that's all). And glancing behind over my left shoulder, instead of my right, doesn't come easy. I'm getting old... B):biggrin:

Jonathan M

I don't mind on which side I ride, I've ridden in France in the summer for the last few years as well as riving over there (RHD car), and I've driven in the states in a LHD car.

There would need to be serious consideration though to the UK changing over to driving on the right for one clear cut reason, drivers of RHD cars get too fecking close to cyclists because they can judge what clearance they are (not) giving the cyclist too precisely. Like British tourists in France do.......

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think it would be a nightmare to change the UK to driving in the wrong side of the road. We drive on the left to keep our sword/whip arm clear and free to do as required, ditto the driver's side window for the modern equivilent.:smile:

If the Government did decide to make a change then I would demand the Government then replaced my new right hand drive car for a new left hand drive car at their expense, and I don't mean via tax revenue.

A large percentage of the world write from right to left and top to bottom. Should we change the written languge direction too?

Top Bottom