leg cramps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi all,

this week i have started getting leg cramps. when i do a google search, it fetches up results for leg cramps well into a ride.

mine are from the first few turns of the pedals, they then cycle from niggling to excruciating pain back to niggling. the big pain lasts for 10 minutes then subsides to niggling

i have never had them before, but had them twice this week on both long (+100 miles) rides, but right from the beginning.

i od on ibuprofen (not a good idea for me, as i am allergic) which keeps it at bay.

any ideas on what is causing this? i drink plenty of fluids (as fiona found funny yesterday (not in a nasty way) on the cc ride, as i had loads of bottles with me).

cheers

pig on a bike

I sometimes used to get cramp in my front thighs but it was not strat away.I know put nunn tablets in my bottles along with energy powder and it seems to work for me

i have never had them before, but had them twice this week on both long (+100 miles) rides, but right from the beginning.

i od on ibuprofen (not a good idea for me, as i am allergic) which keeps it at bay.

any ideas on what is causing this? i drink plenty of fluids (as fiona found funny yesterday (not in a nasty way) on the cc ride, as i had loads of bottles with me).

cheers

You should probably takes paracetamol in that case, it's still an anti-inflammatory but with fewer GI side effects than ibuprofen. It's also safer should you become dehydrated, although it sounds like you're on top of that!

Crankarm

Guru
You should probably takes paracetamol in that case, it's still an anti-inflammatory but with fewer GI side effects than ibuprofen. It's also safer should you become dehydrated, although it sounds like you're on top of that!

Taking paracetamol or iburprofen on a regular basis for an extended period of time can harm one's liver.

yello

Have you changed the saddle position at all?

If you've been used to a particular position for a while then a change, especially of saddle height, can cause muscles to be worked slightly differently and this could results in aches, pains and cramps. I've experienced it myself and it does come on quite quickly after starting.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
cheers guys. i like the sound of the nuun tablets.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
When I went through a phase of suffering leg-cramps, googling suggested that potassium-deficiency was a likely cause, and that bananas were a good source. I took to eating a banana before each ride, and another one during, and that did the trick.

yello

Interestingly, Mrs Magnatom (a dietician or food scientist or somesuch) says that bananas are not actually a particularly good source of potassium. Apparently, it's one of those urban myth type things. That's not to say that they are not a source (and a very convenient and portable one too, with other benefits for the cyclist - like carb), just that there are better sources.

I keep meaning to follow up on that one but never get around to it!

Canardly

Veteran
There is no straight answer to cramps ( and I suffer) tried, salt, water, tumms, bananas, not tried pickle juice yet but they still come......

Top Bottom