Leg position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

As you probably know, I'm new to cycling and still finding out what precisely is what. I'm concerned my seat is too low right now. I ride Cannondale Hybrid, and when I pedal my legs are bent as opposed to straight. Some recommendations say your legs should be straight some bent. It feels fairly comfy but I thought I would ask for some definitive guidance before I settle into the incorrect riding style.

Thanks

Mozzy

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Don't know about definitive, but if you lean against a wall, foot on pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, knee should be just un-locked. Any sign of hips rocking and it's too high.

Rob500

When I first got my bike and was getting my seat height fixed the mate got me to put my heels on the pedals. The seat height was adjusted until my legs were dead straight. This did the job and my legs are not locked when feet are in the normal pedal position.

HovR

Über Member
What upsidedown and rob said! With your foot on the pedal at its lowest point, your leg should be stretched out enough so that your knee is just not locked.

If you've been riding with the saddle too low, you will notice a huge difference once you have it right.
thumbsup.png

Fast_Mark

A good guide for saddle height: set it so your leg is locked out when your heel is on the pedal. Not definitive, but it should get you pretty close.

Peteaud

Veteran
When I first got my bike and was getting my seat height fixed the mate got me to put my heels on the pedals. The seat height was adjusted until my legs were dead straight. This did the job and my legs are not locked when feet are in the normal pedal position.

A good guide for saddle height: set it so your leg is locked out when your heel is on the pedal. Not definitive, but it should get you pretty close.

Thats what i was told, and how ive set my bikes, never had a problem with it. Although i adjust the saddle forwards / backwards to suit my riding pos.

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

Thank you all so much for taking the time to advise. I've taken on board what you have suggested and the seat as a consequence has been raised by around 35-40mm. I really noticed it today on my ride, hence the question. I understand it can be bad for your knees to not straighten the legs.

Just been up the road for a quick spin and crikey, yes you are right, quite some difference :thumbsup:

What a great forum this is with so many helpful people.

RESPECT :hello:

Mozzy

Peteaud

Veteran
Make sure that you dont straighten them too much, i.e dont lock them.

I was always told that the leg should be very slightly bent,hence setting the pedals on you heel 1st.

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

Make sure that you dont straighten them too much, i.e dont lock them.

I was always told that the leg should be very slightly bent,hence setting the pedals on you heel 1st.

Thank you, I may need to make slight changes as I go along. I've a feeling the legs may be a tad to straight now and your own point makes me think I do need maybe to drop a few mil.

Thanks

Mozzy

PS: Is the sausage factory still out your way?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What worked for me is inside leg x.883 (+/- a few mm i add 3 mm) to give distance from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle , i know htis si subject to what crank length you have on your bike but it gives me a height close to heel on pedal method.

Remember that how far you have your saddle back also affects your total seat height as the further back you have it the higher your effective seat height is.
I know KOPS is regarded by some as load of turnips and other s swear by it but i find it comes very close to the figure for saddle set back that competitive cyclist recommends for my stats ...

http://www.competiti...ALCULATOR_INTRO

KOPS..
saddle-position-photo-small.gif

OP
OP
Mozzy

Mozzy

What worked for me is inside leg x.883 (+/- a few mm i add 3 mm) to give distance form the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle , i know htis si subject to what crank length you have on your bike but it gives me a height close to heel on pedal method.

Remember that how far you have your saddle back also affects your total seat height as the further back you have it the higher your effective seat height is.
I know KOPS is regarded by some as load of turnips and other s swear by it but i find it comes very close to the figure for saddle set back that competitive cyclist recommends for my stats ...

http://www.competiti...ALCULATOR_INTRO

KOPS..
saddle-position-photo-small.gif

:thumbsup:

Peteaud

Veteran
Thank you, I may need to make slight changes as I go along. I've a feeling the legs may be a tad to straight now and your own point makes me think I do need maybe to drop a few mil.

Thanks

Mozzy

PS: Is the sausage factory still out your way?

Oscar Meyer - yes,still there

Top Bottom