LEJOG distance covered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gregdavies82

Hi, I am looking to complete LEJOG in April 2013, I have this date specifically because I have another challenge that is going to coincide with this challenge.

My question to all those that have completed the LEJOG/JOGLE is what sort of distance can I realistically be looking at covering each day?

I am 28 yrs old and currently train for the odd half marathon/triathlon (as a hobby) so my fitness is good although I don't do many long distance rides (the odd 60 miler).
My training will be picking up over the next 20 months or so on the run up to this.

I am not looking to break records but to cover as much mileage as I can in a day allowing me enough time to rest in between. Its more a challenge than a lesiurely ride!

any info/advice would be great,

Greg

hubbike

I did 9 days with camping gear on a 2nd hand mtb, which is an average of about 100 miles a day. that is very doable, even slowly, if you spend lots of time in the saddle. i.e. averaging 10mph for 10 hours.

if you go the credit card, road bike and training option you could probably aim for 150+ a day and do it in 6 days or less. that's a serious challenge for you!!!

OP
OP
G

gregdavies82

Thanks, I've got my road bike and am happy to put the hours in, although i do want to try carry some gear on the bike even though i'll have a support vehicle.

Mitz

That's some preparation that you will be doing!
Half marathons & Triathalons ..... makes my training pale into insignificance

Our route plan has a couple of 90 mile days, but the rest between 65 and 75, and I havent ridden more than about 30 miles in one hit yet!
The plan is to start early around 7.30 and finish mid afternoon. But you know the quote ... the best laid schemes of mice and men
biggrin.gif

Rebel Ian

Where are you staying? If you are booking hotels or B&Bs you may find that they wont serve breakfast that early for you to start at 7:30am.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
very true. I used to drink the hotel room coffee and set off to take advantage of the early sunrise (not that early in April, mind you)

Mitz

Where are you staying? If you are booking hotels or B&Bs you may find that they wont serve breakfast that early for you to start at 7:30am.

Havent booked anywhere yet (going in September) , cycling partner wants to do YHA, but I'd prefer B&B ... god point though, not all of them will do 6.45 breakfasts

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Havent booked anywhere yet (going in September) , cycling partner wants to do YHA, but I'd prefer B&B ... god point though, not all of them will do 6.45 breakfasts

No B&B will do 6:45 breakfasts! In France last year many B&Bs blanched at a 7:30 request, and insisted that breakfast started at 8:00. They're geared to holiday-makers, not nutters on bikes.

Rebel Ian

You'll also find that Sundays and perhaps Saturdays they'll serve it even later. It's worth checking anyway when you're booking.

It's morning time when I will have the most conflict with my group!! I'd much prefer to get up earlly, skip breakfast if necessary, and get 30 miles done before stopping for food. I know they'll all be in bed and I'll be dragging them out even for a 9am start!

Mitz

They're geared to holiday-makers, not nutters on bikes.

biggrin.gif

You'll also find that Sundays and perhaps Saturdays they'll serve it even later. It's worth checking anyway when you're booking.

It's morning time when I will have the most conflict with my group!! I'd much prefer to get up earlly, skip breakfast if necessary, and get 30 miles done before stopping for food. I know they'll all be in bed and I'll be dragging them out even for a 9am start!

Im afraid I'm not good in the mornings. I need a shower and coffee
At the moment I have a bowl of cereal and then am off most mornings at 7.15 now. Cycling partner is looking at a full english every day
He's a life long friend, but this may be the only conflict
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 57

theloafer

Legendary Member
have done lejog twice and the first time mileage was total 1,137 over 14 days was useing the ctc yha route but due to map reading errors averaged 100 ..second was over 17 days and attemped to do cape wrath ..which failed due to weather ...ferryman did not wont to risk it mileage was 1,086.... 4 years time plan on jogle for my 60th.. :thumbsup:

larry

spen666

Legendary Member
No B&B will do 6:45 breakfasts! In France last year many B&Bs blanched at a 7:30 request, and insisted that breakfast started at 8:00. They're geared to holiday-makers, not nutters on bikes.

I'm not sure that you will be staying in many B&B's in France whilst doing LEJoG :thumbsup:

Genman

WTF you on about?
LeJog in France?

Top Bottom