LEJOG. Right time of the year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have been planning the trip for a while now, and next year I have the right amount of time off from work next September/October. Have anyone here done the trip at this time of year? The evenings would still be light enough and the general weather should not be that bad. Ant opinions please.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I'm tempted to do this and I would go about the same time..more september than October though imo.

Will you do it South North or North South. I think I'd be tempted to ride South, as, with a couple of exceptions, September can be very wet and windy in Northern Scotland but then there's never any guarantees.

seano

Advantages less tourist traffic, no need to book accomodation, due to earlier darkness you can spend more time in pub chatting with locals. Disadvantages earlier colder starts. more clothes=more weight. In terms of satisfaction rating Le - J O G has to be the best. Enjoy.

www.seanoreilly.4t.com

hubbike

IMO anytime of year is the right time of year, just need to make sure your clothing matches.

I did it in March and had some very cold camping but was fine cycling. Scenery was spectacular in Scotland with snow on the peaks. you won't have that in autumn.

I also had a huge SWerly storm push me along as far as Bristol and then contented a Northerly headwind the rest of the trip.

What you will have is the leaves turning all kinds of crazy colours on the trees, and I expect that will look great going up through the wye valley in wales.

Then again spring and summer both have obvious advantages but you can still get bad weather...

I have a vague plan to get to a LeJog one day soon (Paris first next spring)

November to April is really in the grip of winter - too dark and cold.
July and August would be a pain in the tourist areas and (although last couple of years not so) could be a real heatwave.
So you end up with May/June or September/October

Monthly averages

May

Avg Low: 10°

Avg High: 18°

Avg precip: 3.89 cm

June

Avg Low: 13°

Avg High: 21°

Avg precip: 4.64 cm

September

Avg Low: 13°

Avg High: 20°

Avg precip: 4.97 cm

October

Avg Low: 11°

Avg High: 16°

Avg precip: 7.07 cm

Above is for London (I know not even on route) but October looks to be much colder and much wetter than September.
May comes out as nice and dry but may be a bit cool.

The other thought is in training. Will you be up to it in May (most of us cycle less over the winter as there is less opportunity) whereas you should be at a peak by September having had summer to build up nicely.

Anthony

I did LeJog last year in september. Generally the weather was good. Though towards the end of the month the temperatures dropped slightly and the days were shorter. I wouldn't suggest doing it much later than september.

U

User482

I did it in September. Weather generally was excellent. One thing is the midges in northern Scotland, which are a pain every time you stop for a breather. Ideally I would choose May or June - loads of daylight, not too hot and no midges.

User482 said:
I did it in September. Weather generally was excellent. One thing is the midges in northern Scotland, which are a pain every time you stop for a breather. Ideally I would choose May or June - loads of daylight, not too hot and no midges.

That's unusual. Their appearance does vary but the little buggers are generally out in May and pretty much gone sometime in September, that's why April is often a good month in the highlands. Fine weather and no bloody midgies.

snorri

Legendary Member
:biggrin::rolleyes:
As a resident of northern Scotland living close to a popular LEJOG route, I consider the risk of attack from midgies to be on a par with the risk of being attacked by a LEJOGing cyclist.:rolleyes:

They're nay as bad on the East coast are they Snorri. Besides the Scots pretend they aren't being eaten by them just to prove they're nay a bother. :biggrin:

U

User482

Crackle said:
That's unusual. Their appearance does vary but the little buggers are generally out in May and pretty much gone sometime in September, that's why April is often a good month in the highlands. Fine weather and no bloody midgies.

Odd - I've found precisely the opposite - not too bad in May/ June but a pain in the proverbial come September. Could just be unfortunate coincidence, I suppose.

Top Bottom