LEJoG - what's the most sensible duration?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

There’s some great information reading through these threads for anyone planning LEJoG (or JoGLE) which I’m intending to do next year.

One of the main questions we need to decide is how long. The record on a bike is 1 day and 20 hours which could possibly be beyond our capabilities!!! Reading through some of these threads there’s anything between 8 and 18 days. We’d initially talked about 10 days but is that too ambitious?

What’s a sensible, achievable duration for most riders taking on LEJoG?

PpPete

Legendary Member
We took 20 days, but that was with a bunch of kids - youngest 12 y.o. riding what I can only describe as a "motley" collection of bikes.

On your Bianchi or Allez you'll do it faster than that.

mark barker

If I was going to make the effort to ride the length of the country I'd want to take in a few sights, not just zoom past them with sweat dripping in my eyes. Add a few days to relax, enjoy your surroundings and take it easy!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It all depends on what route you're taking and how much you're carrying.

If you're camping, you have a far greater choice of places to stop each night. But you'll be carrying more and travelling more slowly.

If possible, I'd advise giving yourself no hard deadline for finishing. That way, if you get a spell of bad weather, you feel tired or there's something you want to stop and take a look at, it doesn't matter. You can just move on when you're ready.

Much the best way to tour.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

One of the things I need to consider is how long I'll be away from home. I work away during the week so it's pretty good that the missus is very supportive of me doing LEJoG. I don't want it to turn into a slog and I would like to see some sights but at the same time I'm conscious I can't be away for three weeks.

I think no set deadline is a good way to go although we'll be staying in guest houses etc which puts additional pressure on being in certain places if we book places in advance. It's a nice problem to have anyway!!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm doing it next year and settled on 14 days. That works out at just over 70 miles per day average which should allow us to enjoy the trip and look around a bit.

rogersavery

We are currently 100 miles from John o Groats in Alness, after leaving lands end 3pm last saturday - we aim to finish tomorrow, which will mean 8 days

If I was to do it again, then I would take more time over it, we have had no spare time to stop, all we have done is cycle, eat, sleep and fix the bike.

14 days would be a nice pace if you really want to enjoy the whole country

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it depends why you're doing it. Is it for the sake of ticking the box, or are you intent on having a good holiday? If the latter, then why LEJoG? - there are plenty of better rides. If the former, then the quicker the better.

e-rider

crappy member
10 days or less with leave little time to relax and enjoy yourself.

So,

10 or less if you seek a challenge and are fairly fit.

11-18 days if you want a relaxing cycling holiday with time for sightseeing and beer drinking.

I did it in 11 days and we did find time to drink beer everynight but not as much as I'd have liked!:tongue:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I found that 16 and 17 days were perfect for my LEJOG and JOGLE rides respectively. The pace was relaxed and at no point did I find myself cycling with any sense of urgency.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

it depends why you're doing it. Is it for the sake of ticking the box, or are you intent on having a good holiday? If the latter, then why LEJoG? - there are plenty of better rides. If the former, then the quicker the better.

I guess it's a bit of a box ticking thing really. It's such an iconic journey that I'd like to be able to say I've cycled it. I've already driven it and after cycling I'm going to do it on my motorbike!!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm conscious of being away from home too long so it's getting the balance right between completing the task and enjoying it. I think 12 days sounds sensible.

e-rider

crappy member
I guess it's a bit of a box ticking thing really. It's such an iconic journey that I'd like to be able to say I've cycled it. I've already driven it and after cycling I'm going to do it on my motorbike!!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm conscious of being away from home too long so it's getting the balance right between completing the task and enjoying it. I think 12 days sounds sensible.

yes, 12 or 13 would suit your needs I'd say if you carry panniers etc.

11 - 12 without panniers.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

then my suggestion is this - sign up for The Race Against Time and do it in six days. And raise a bunch of money while you do it.

We did it in 14 days. We went east of the pennines, so the route was longer (around 1100 miles). This meant we did roughly 75 miles per day, but had time for a lunch stop and a couple of pints in the evening. Our biggest mistake though was not having a rest day, or even a short day. I was shot to bits by the end of it.

Top Bottom