London Edinburgh London 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My commutes were 40-45 mins which you’ll work out is 24-27km/h. Faster than my audax pacing. But they are not long rides, and there was a hot shower at the end, so I could afford to push a higher pace. Commutes or regular short rides on a route you do regularly are a great way to test and improve your fitness.
I don't know why but I'm stuck at this 20km/h margin, I just can't get faster😞 I need to find a short route to do. Commute to uni is 20 minutes but now everything is online except the odd lab every other month. I still don't know how i would do a 200km audax, 173km is my record and that was painful, I thought I was going to have a breakdown past the 110km mark- but to note-I did it unprepared-a big jump from 108km to 173km and a route the was way more hilly. Since then did the 125km in the Chilterns. But now think it's too cold to be doing 100km rides.

A rough schedule of my riding up to LEL 13

Sept 12

Twice daily commute of 18km, 5 days a week
A 2.5 hour Wed evening ride with local CTC group.
Sat - A 2-3 hour bike ride.

Oct 12

A 100km audax end of month

Nov

Same as Sept

Dec

Same as Sept

Jan

Same as Sept

Feb

A 100km audax end of month

March

Sat - A 3-5 hour bike ride.
A 200km audax end of month

April

Sat - A 3-5 hour bike ride.
Sun - A 2 hour bike ride
A 300km audax end of month

May

Sat - A 100km bike ride.
Sun - A 2 hour bike ride
A 400km audax middle of month

June

A 600km audax beginning of month
Sat - A 100km bike ride.
Sun - A 2 hour bike ride

July

Dunwich Dynamo beginning of month, about 180km and all overnight
Two week holiday in Alps
No more long rides and went for walks instead.

August 13

LEL beginning of month
200km audax end of month.
Thank you for the detailed breakdown much appreciated. I'll do it at a slower pace than you since I don't want to peak too early.

It was an analogy! :smile: You probably haven't ridden 300km in a day, but have ridden 100 miles, yes?

My point being, it's kinda like 5 manageable days, one after the other. That's a lot easier than riding 4 (or 5) times your longest ride, non-stop back-to-back.

GetFatty

Über Member
It was an analogy! :smile: You probably haven't ridden 300km in a day, but have ridden 100 miles, yes?

My point being, it's kinda like 5 manageable days, one after the other. That's a lot easier than riding 4 (or 5) times your longest ride, non-stop back-to-back.
I don’t want to put anyone off LEL as it’s a fantastic experience but you are going to do a 200 mile day. Yes it can be done. If you’ve ridden 50 miles you can ride 100, if you’ve ridden 100 you can do 200 but don’t underestimate the mental toll of 4 - 5 long days in the saddle.

The postponement gives me an extra year to prepare but I’ll also be a year older 😔

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'll suggest this again to @oreo_muncher - resolve to take up one of the CycleChat monthly challenges: I suggest 100km to start with, and 'warm up with one in December, ready for the challenge's calendar year start. The other activity that I suspect she has little practice in is riding any distance at night away from street lights. Were one in Edinburgh - with lights sorted out, take the opportunity to do that towards the Forth or out towards the Moorfoot Hills on a pleasant evening. The 2022 LEL southbound will sure go the latter way to get to Innerleithen (from Dunfermline).
This, maybe: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34689194?beta=false

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@YukonBoy was going from 400km to ~1500km (LEL) not a big step up? The LEL is nearly 4 times that distance!

You missed the 600km and it was 1400km in 2013. Mentally it’s a big step. If it’s your first big event. But physically not so much. You need physical resilience to keep pedalling day after day. Mentally you have to forget the overall distance and just deal with getting to next control, eating, sleeping when necessary etc. During LEL you need to be able to manage 300km every 24 hours. On a 400 you typically cover it in 24 hours or not much more. So those 100km less means you can get some sleep each night if you pace doesn’t drop off much.

For me on big events like LEL I find I don’t deteriorate day to day as long as I’m getting 3-4 hours sleep each night. So that’s my general aim each day build up enough of a buffer to get at least that much sleep and not be out of time.

Last edited:

Yes I have. It was hard. :shy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In short

Build time on the saddle day on day, week on week, month on month.
Every week include some hard efforts such as going up hills and getting close to your max HR by the top.
Build up to including longer rides of 4-5 hours every week. Do these at an easier pace.
Ride in poor weather
Ride at night away from streetlights
Get comfortable navigating unfamiliar routes.
Once you get within 9-11 months of LEL start including 200km rides (sooner if you feel ready earlier in 2021) and look to do a series of 200,300,400,600km rides in the 6 months before LEL.

Eat enough protein and carbs and get enough sleep to support it all. If you find yourself getting continuously tired or injuries recurring then take a break from the riding.

Be patient with your progression. Endurance and speed and resilience takes time to develop. But there’s plenty of time to get ready for LEL in 2022 if you get started soon enough.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@ianrauk I wonder if you might consider retitling this thread, perhaps to "LEL postponed to 2022"? @mmmmartin 's post popped up and I firt read it as "LEL cancelled" (again).
Having volunteered for 2 days before and one day after riding (setting up start esp bike park Friday and dishing out kit for hours Saturday etc etc, riding, then taking down finish and clearing out everything) I empathise with Martin's excitement (well maybe not 'beyond excited' ^_^ ). With new hip (hopefully) will likely do so again (and as a known quantity to Danial).

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk I wonder if you might consider retitling this thread, perhaps to "LEL postponed to 2022"? @mmmmartin 's post popped up and I firt read it as "LEL cancelled" (again).
Having volunteered for 2 days before and one day after riding (setting up start esp bike park Friday and dishing out kit for hours Saturday etc etc, riding, then taking down finish and clearing out everything) I empathise with Martin's excitement (well maybe not 'beyond excited' ^_^ ). With new hip (hopefully) will likely do so again (and as a known quantity to Danial).
Yup, good idea. Done. I've also volunteered at the start venue.

Top Bottom