Lets have a National No Cycling Day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I reckon Tues 3rd May would be good. Kids back at school in most places, people most likely to drive after a weekend. Lots of people do a small weekly shop down here.

Lets show the moronic out there how cycling changes congestion for the better, how many extra cars would be needed, and how little space there'll be on public transport. It'd be like a road block, but everyone is involved. I'm sick of being made out to be in the way of motorists just for riding a damn bike.

Or perhaps we should flood the traffic reports with fakes to cause constination, LOL!??

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
the mans gone mad!!

No car day, no bike day, no motorbike day, no train day, no bus day

Should give them all a try... although we already have "no train day" pretty often :tongue:

ohnovino

Large Member
I thought about this myself last time there was a news story about a Critical Mass protest. Instead of portraying cyclists as a nuisance, this would show how we're making things easier for drivers. It wouldn't make much of a difference round here, but I'm guessing London would be gridlocked if just a small percentage of cyclists were to switch to four wheels.

Maybe a few bumper stickers saying "My Other Car is a Bike" would get the message across.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Critical mass in cars????

With banners saying 'There wouldn't be this congestion if I was on my bike'

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I agree very much with this idea. Those that don't have cars could take public transport. It would attract more media attention if it were called a strike: "Cyclists go on strike!". Even the prats who read the Daily Wail might have to pay attention. I'm sure it would be possible to get some high profile celebrity support as well.

400bhp

Guru
It would provide more negatives than positives IMO.

Perhaps as useful as a "run every electrical appliance in your house for 1 hour" day. :whistle:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
But I can't drive.

Neither can I. I'd take the bus..

No car day, no bike day, no motorbike day, no train day, no bus day

Should give them all a try... although we already have "no train day" pretty often :tongue:

Motorcyclists get similar abuse for filtering on the web and in the news comments I notice. Perhaps they could get the car out too? :tongue:

Critical mass in cars????

With banners saying 'There wouldn't be this congestion if I was on my bike'

Hmm I wonder if you can get stickers like that..? :ohmy: :becool:

I agree very much with this idea. Those that don't have cars could take public transport. It would attract more media attention if it were called a strike: "Cyclists go on strike!". Even the prats who read the Daily Wail might have to pay attention. I'm sure it would be possible to get some high profile celebrity support as well.

Strike is a good use of wording. :tongue:

It would provide more negatives than positives IMO.

Perhaps as useful as a "run every electrical appliance in your house for 1 hour" day. :whistle:

Have you seen my electric bill? That aint gonna happen.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought about the strike idea a while ago because cyclists are in a real scapegoat position - they get blamed for holding traffic up when, in fact, the more cyclists there are on the road, the more room there is for drivers. But I think I decided that bike commuters as a rule were a pretty independent bunch who have actively thought about how to get around transport difficulties and who cherish the flexibility, fluidity and the relative independence from traffic congestion that comes with cycling. Asking them to strike would be completely against their natures and it would feel like a punishment.

So: elegant idea, impractical...

Top Bottom