Let's talk about Iran

Lots happening in Iran at the moment after the shooting down of the Ukrainian 737. Because the State outright lied about the incident, there's been a reaction and thousands have demonstrated in the streets against the theocracy - a brave thing to do considering hundreds have been shot dead in protests recently. More and more high profile names are speaking out -

View: https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1216749134348201985

View: https://twitter.com/Maryamshariatm/status/1216476537882542081

View: https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1216521032854573056

Iran's only female Olympic medallist, Kimia Alizadeh, says she has defected. Alizadeh, 21, posted on social media that she had left Iran because she didn't want to be part of "hypocrisy, lies, injustice and flattery". She described herself as "one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51084620

View: https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1216321586376183811

Will the brutal regime cling to power or will these protests bring about change?

Stompier

I'm thinking 'Tiananmen Square', rather than 'Arab Spring'. Hopefully wrong though.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
This gives an interesting insight into what ordinary Iranians think:

View: https://youtu.be/g9irlgzHmvU
Genuine question - how do you know that this clip is representative of what ordinary Iranians think? There is a lot of propaganda (from both sides) on YouTube? I ask this in the light of another thread about fake news on social media.

In 2020, I am really interested to know how one gets a handle on public views, particularly in a closed religious country, given the misuse of social media by specific groups with an agenda to get across.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Any country that has as a cleric as its inviolable head of state and religion and has the name of a religion as part of its name is always going to be a problem.
There have been several other examples ,even current ones in the world, that are definitely not my cup of tea, but they don't cause us a problem. There are others that aren't religious but call the state, head of state and themselves pretty peculiar names.

Iran is a highly militarised state. Often other states like Taiwan, Israel, Turkey and Pakistan it is in their interests to draw attention away from that.

marinyork

Genuine question - how do you know that this clip is representative of what ordinary Iranians think? There is a lot of propaganda (from both sides) on YouTube? I ask this in the light of another thread about fake news on social media.

In 2020, I am really interested to know how one gets a handle on public views, particularly in a closed religious country, given the misuse of social media by specific groups with an agenda to get across.
There are a lot of Iranian students amd academics in the UK, even outside your beloved cosmopolitan London. They often have contact by other means to people in Iran. It doesn't really tell you what is going on or what people think,but gives some insights.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
There are a lot of Iranian students amd academics in the UK, even outside your beloved cosmopolitan London. They often have contact by other means to people in Iran. It doesn't really tell you what is going on or what people think,but gives some insights.
Absolutely but what worries me, is how representative these students are. Or even if it is possible to get a single opinion that sums up a complex country. For example, I wonder what other countries would think of the UK if they followed UK university students' vlogs? We all know the accusations of them being snowflake, liberal, lefties supporting remain and demanding safe-spaces on campus. This would hardly be a fair description of the UK in 2020. But then I'm not sure creating a single picture of a complex society is ever possible.

Cycleops

Guru

The answer is obviously we don't but given that the lives of ordinary people there are blighted by a brutal repressive regime plus the impact of sanctions you can imagine life can't be a barrel of laughs for the majority. Who do you think they might blame?
In my last full time job I worked with an Iranian guy who said it was pretty difficult.

marinyork

Absolutely but what worries me, is how representative these students are. Or even if it is possible to get a single opinion that sums up a complex country. For example, I wonder what other countries would think of the UK if they followed UK university students' vlogs? We all know the accusations of them being snowflake, liberal, lefties supporting remain and demanding safe-spaces on campus. This would hardly be a fair description of the UK in 2020. But then I'm not sure creating a single picture of a complex society is ever possible.
I would certainly hope in a lot of cases it isn't based on one person. You often meet people that aren't from Tehran.

I watch vlogs of students (well some aren't now) and people of other ages.

The awful thing is that Trump's war footing with Iran surely strengthen's their hard liners. If your country is likely to be bombed at any minute by an aggressive foreign power, you are going to back the leadership for reasons of national unity; particularly if they look at the mess the neighbouring countries are in after Western intervention.

In the UK's darkest hour, Attlee and the whole labour movement loyally backed Churchill, arguably a right-winger. Once the war was one, dissent and change came in with Attlee's government.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Guru
The awful thing is that Trump's war footing with Iran surely strengthen's their hard liners. If your country is likely to be bombed at any minute by an aggressive foreign power, you are going to back the leadership for reasons of national unity;
Unity? More likely out of fear given their record.

The awful thing is that Trump's war footing with Iran surely strengthen's their hard liners. If your country is likely to be bombed at any minute by an aggressive foreign power, you are going to back the leadership for reasons of national unity; particularly if they look at the mess the neighbouring countries are in after Western intervention.

In the UK's darkest hour, Attlee and the whole labour movement loyally backed Churchill, arguably a right-winger. Once the war was one, dissent and change came in with Attlee's government.

The West has to tread carefully here. If they are seen to be interfering internally (or if it can be manipulated that way) then there is a very good chance Iranians may unite under the flag. Iranians I have met are very critical of the regime but also very proud of their nation and its rich heritage. Trump's tweet of support is reportedly the most "liked" tweet in Iranian history.

It's worth pointing out that although most of the videos come from Tehran, there's a lot apparently coming from the smaller cities and towns too. This is important because the regime is supported most strongly in the rural areas and if they're starting to protest too...

Reactions: C R

Levo-Lon

Guru
The answer is obviously we don't but given that the lives of ordinary people there are blighted by a brutal repressive regime plus the impact of sanctions you can imagine life can't be a barrel of laughs for the majority. Who do you think they might blame?
In my last full time job I worked with an Iranian guy who said it was pretty difficult.

Shame some on here don't realise this while wandering around Tesco filling the trolley and complaining how bad it is here.

Horrid brutal regime ,Iran that is not the Tories...:smile:

I don't think we can ever have real peace with a corrupt religious fanatic state

Top Bottom