Lights and darkness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Up here, about 10 ish at this time of year, but if it clear can be later...

Jamesgibby, if you are looking for serious lights to see where you are going, rather than just being seen by others, I would recommend you have a look at this review, may be not cheep, but if you life may depend on them, then they are worth it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Plax said:
What time does it start to get dark enough to warrant putting lights on nowadays?

I've taken all the lights off my bike as its always light on my commute now, but I have to dog sit this weekend and am thinking of setting off in a couple of hours (7pm ish when it is still light out, but on it's way to getting dark) on the bicycle, rather than drive.
Would it be worth maybe just clipping a light to the rucksack and putting my helmet light back on? Don't think I can be bothered to dig the 10w and 5w rechargeable lights out (and they'll probably have gone flat by now).

Even if you dont choose them this time Plax, get them charged if they're Lead acid batteries....leaving them dead can kill them permanently. They dont like a full discharge.

Re the time to use...as previously stated, if in any doubt, put em on...

spindrift

jamesgibby said:
I bought a pair of Reelights last year they attach to the hub and are powered by magnets on the wheel they turn on when you start cycling and carry on for a few minutes when you stop (induction powered with a capacitor to allow them to flashing when you stop). They stay on my bike permanently. I have other front and rear lights for when it is dark but they are great as lights to be seen by.
2/3 of my commute is on a disused railway (part of the national cycle network) so it is a bit dark at times

Ooooh, what are these please?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
gbb said:
Even if you dont choose them this time Plax, get them charged if they're Lead acid batteries....leaving them dead can kill them permanently. They dont like a full discharge.

Re the time to use...as previously stated, if in any doubt, put em on...

I'm not quite sure what type of battery it is to be honest - Ni-Mh I think. It takes approx 10hrs to charge. When they start to fade I've always just left them on when I get in the house so they run out completely, and then recharged them fully. I never half charge things out of habit as I read somewhere that it isn't good for the battery to always be half charged as it thinks that the half charge is a full charge and reduces the battery life (or some such crap like that).

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Plax,

From what I understand, Ni-MH batteries don't have a "memory" and can be recharged from any level. Still, use a good charger, so that they don't overcharge. Overcharging will shorten their life.

Night Train

Maker of Things
spindrift said:
Is there a legal aspect to flashing lights?
As I understand it flashing lights are not legal on the road and the main lights have to comply with BS6102/3.

jamesgibby

spindrift said:

These are the 100 model which I don't think have the capacitor so will stop when you stop cycling. I have the 120 which flash for up to 5 minutes after you stop. There is a new model the 150 which don't flash.
Manufacturer site is http://www.reelight.com/. You do have to put up with kind people telling you you have left your lights on all the time but it is a price I am willing to pay.

Wolf04

Night Train said:
But if you are involved in an accident you might get done if your lights are not BS approved.
Best not have an accident then.;)

Just try buying lights that are approved and are bright enough, extremely thin on the ground.:tongue:

Top Bottom