like for like tests?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdg88

Hi All

I was hoping there may be a trike owner who's upgraded their (Ice) trike from 20" rear wheel to 26" rear wheel who may be able to give me a "like for like" journey time comparison - that is to say journey A 20" wheel X mins, same trike 26" wheel same journey A Y mins.

I'm thinking of changing to a 26" wheel because I'm under the impression it will reduce my commute time (a bit!), there's a lot of differing opnions on the web but I can't find any articles that do a simple like for like comparison.

Anyone done this sort of a test?

FYI I ride a QNT and love it. ^_^

starhawk

Why do you think it would reduce your commute time?
I have a Trice Q and no intention whatsoever of changing to a 26" wheel so I can't help you with time comparisions but why do you think it would matter at all, thats what surprizes me

OP
OP
J

jdg88

I have a Trice Q and no intention whatsoever of changing to a 26" wheel so I can't help you with time comparisions but why do you think it would matter at all, thats what surprizes me

Only that the wheel has a larger circumference therefore greater distance covered....?

tongskie01

if u could pedal quicker, you dont have to change the wheel size. high cadence is the key. if your largest chainring is 53 and smallest sprocket is 11 that will give u 87-88 gear inches. which means if ur cadence is quick enough to about 80rpm, it will give u a speed of 20-21mph. now up it to 100 rpm and it will give u 26-27mph. is that quick enough?

OP
OP
J

jdg88

if u could pedal quicker, you dont have to change the wheel size. high cadence is the key. if your largest chainring is 53 and smallest sprocket is 11 that will give u 87-88 gear inches. which means if ur cadence is quick enough to about 80rpm, it will give u a speed of 20-21mph. now up it to 100 rpm and it will give u 26-27mph. is that quick enough?

If I could pedal quicker!! There's the rub :smile:

Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to pedal faster and I know there's room for improvement in that front as I average 70-75rpm however I really want to know if assuming the engine (me) is the same would I complete my commute a little faster on a trike with a larger rear wheel?

Theoretically it makes sense I was just hoping to get some real life experience from fellow trikers.

starhawk

You don't need to pedal faster, the speed is governed by the gears you have, if you have the right gear you go faster on a 20" then on a 26" with the wrong gear. The size of the drivewheel has nothing to do with the speed you achieve. So you would not complete your commute faster by changing the wheel. If your fastest gear is to slow, change your sprockets, there's absolutely no need to change the wheel

tongskie02

If I could pedal quicker!! There's the rub :smile:

Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to pedal faster and I know there's room for improvement in that front as I average 70-75rpm however I really want to know if assuming the engine (me) is the same would I complete my commute a little faster on a trike with a larger rear wheel?

Theoretically it makes sense I was just hoping to get some real life experience from fellow trikers.
train yourself on increasing cadence. its more efficient. changing the wheel size wouldnt make difference as its still same engine. unless youre too fit that you overspin on the current gear set up on your trike.

starhawk

According to what I have heard an even cadence is more important than a high one. The speed of the trike on the other hand is a function of the gear. A larger wheel is harder to move but rolls farther per revolution, but the smaller wheel requires less power per revolution so it can use a higher gear, so in the end there is no more speed given the same engine power

tongskie01

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm surprised too.

There has been a lot of work on the effects of wheel size on rolling resistance in the folding bike community - generally it now accepted that a small wheeled bike can have nearly as low a rolling resistance as a large wheeled bike - and can have aerodynamic advantages.
see back issues of the AtoB mag.........

markg0vbr

Über Member
a changing to a two wheeled recumbent would have a big difference or putting a velomobile shell on, tail box and wheel discs, but chaining the back wheel will have very little or no difference.
i am faster on my catrike speed with 451 rear than the trike i had with a 700c.

Top Bottom