Little holes in my Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IT_Dummy

Turned the bike over onto its saddle and bars to do a wheel check.
Noticed a small hole on the bottom bracket frame. There is another one in the Top tube
They are all painted as from the Manufacturer.
Are they drainage holes ?

Many Thanks

kishan

could be to attach down bar mudguards as some can be attached using them allankey bolts based at the down bar base facing the ground. The ones on top the down bar could be used to attach bottle cage holders.

Norm

Drainage would be my first thought but some bikes also run cables down the frame so they will have brackets / guides under the BB. It's possible that your bike's frame is also used in other configurations.

I always thought they were vent holes to allow gasses to escape during the building process. Also useful to hang the frame from them during painting.

I always thought they were vent holes to allow gases to escape during the building process.

I thought you meant while your in the saddle for a second
fartgen8yo.gif

EYE-TYE-MAD

Turned the bike over onto its saddle and bars to do a wheel check.
Noticed a small hole on the bottom bracket frame. There is another one in the Top tube
They are all painted as from the Manufacturer.
Are they drainage holes ?

Many Thanks
On some older frames, pre cartridge bottom bracket, there used to be a grease nipple point to lubricate the balls & axle. As Touche says, there are deliberate holes for gas expansion during brazing, but they are usually confined to the forks & stays not the main tubes. Beats me what the other one is though.

Top Bottom