Local Elections Thread

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
Is anybody paying attention to the local elections? Did anyone here stand? Does any of it matter?

Personally, I still feel happy with the Greens pick up a few more councillors but I can't help feeling that very few people even care about local democracy any more - turnout is really low this time.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't think there is one in London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham but your post made me rush upstairs to open a letter to make sure. It was for something on 23rd May. I've been beaten senseless by three years of media droning about Brexit. It's hard to get enthusiastic. I'm probably not alone.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I always vote for a local couple, they do a lot for the local area.
Independent, they get voted in by a comfortable margin, when either of them need the vote.
We had a local yesterday.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Lib Dems and Greens are having a wild time locally. The tories are being humiliated. May’s legacy ain’t going to be pretty.

And this all this bodes for an interesting forecast for the important vote when it comes up.
Does it though?
It’s easy to make a protest in local council elections because few people think it matters much.
What will happen in the Euros or (god forbid) a GE now I think is anybody’s guess.
I may be as wrong as the next man however...

Anyhow! Humiliating the Tories in anything is as good as politics gets!!!!

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Tory’s were always going to lose. That happens to the party in power. They have been briefing the press for days saying they will lose 1000 seats.

The Labour Party as the main opposition should be picking up the pieces but they aren’t doing very well.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It's a pity that party politics plays such an important part in local elections. You couldn't and needn't avoid this altogether, but local elections ought not to be a means of protesting against the central govt of the day of whatever hue. That ought to be reserved for by-elections. Both local and European elections ought not to be an attempt at a second referendum by the back door.

My sister (who reads the Telegraph - enough said) told me she was going to vote Labour for the first time in her entire life - because 'the bloke does a good job locally and really cares about the area'.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's a pity that party politics plays such an important part in local elections. You couldn't and needn't avoid this altogether, but local elections ought not to be a means of protesting against the central govt of the day of whatever hue. That ought to be reserved for by-elections.
If you can find a way to organise a by-election across a large chunk of the country every spring - good luck to you

Top Bottom