Lock broken in seconds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
This is just a few words of advice regarding bike locks.

Today, I returned to my bike to find the lock battered and smashed but luckily still in 1 piece. Unfortunately, the key would not longer fit in the lock so I had a small problem!

I managed to contact local security and after showing some ID they produced some bolt croppers and cut through my expensive ABUS lock in about 10 seconds!

My point is - any non D-lock style lock can be cut in seconds with bolt croppers. My ABUS lock cost £30 and I thought it was pretty tough. Luckily it saved my bike this time but after seeing the ease at which it was cut I'll not use a similar one again. It was a thick braided cable cover in hardened steel shells.

I know d-locks can be broken too but not quite as easily. Take good care of your bike and get a decent lock!

yenrod

tundragumski said:
This is just a few words of advice regarding bike locks.

Today, I returned to my bike to find the lock battered and smashed but luckily still in 1 piece. Unfortunately, the key would not longer fit in the lock so I had a small problem!

I managed to contact local security and after showing some ID they produced some bolt croppers and cut through my expensive ABUS lock in about 10 seconds!

My point is - any non D-lock style lock can be cut in seconds with bolt croppers. My ABUS lock cost £30 and I thought it was pretty tough. Luckily it saved my bike this time but after seeing the ease at which it was cut I'll not use a similar one again. It was a thick braided cable cover in hardened steel shells.

I know d-locks can be broken too but not quite as easily. Take good care of your bike and get a decent lock!

I'll look into the locks we use on the containers and get back to 'you' they're quite good.

lynx

You tube captain cropper to see some scary expensive locks cropped in seconds.

Cable locks are not safe either as cable cutters can go through them very easily.

Greenbank

Über Member
If they really want to steal your bike they will.

A portable angle-grinder will cut through 90% of cables/locks (including D-locks) in under 10 seconds. The more expensive/chunky ones may take 30 seconds.

Even 16mm steel/boron chains like these: http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-chains.php which are guaranteed 42" bolt-cropper proof can be cut through in under a minute with a decent portable angle-grinder.

However, the better quality chain/lock the more people you'll deter. Just make sure your bike has a better quality chain/lock than the rest in the rack.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have this one
The Granit X Plus is a long time favourite in Cycling Plus tests. It has a very usable size and a reasonable weight, and a simple but clever bracket is included too. Under our first test(use of an extending bar for leverage to twist locks, a hammer, pliers, mole grips, wire cutters, chisel, axe and large bolt croppers), the Abus is simply brilliant the clever design of the shackle(square profile) means it simply will not twist or turn under leverage. The lock mechanism is protected with hardened steel, which blunts a hand hacksaw and the shackle resists this type of cutting just as well; it sailed through the five minute attack with a bit of cosmetic damage.
Under test two(use of a quality battery drill rated to 12000rpm with a 30 minute battery life on max output - drill bit and metal cutting disc)the power tool took about a minute and a quarter to get through one side, but again due to the clever design and the double-bolt lock we still couldn't free the bike. This meant we had to cut through the other side too, leading to a very impressive time of over two and a half minutes. If you lock your bike with this lock, cleverly keeping one side of the shackle out of the way, this wouldn't be possible. Simply put, this is the best design available, and backed up by Abus's quality control makes the Granit X Plus the best U-lock you can buy.
In conclusion...

Only the most equipped, professional theives would stand a chance.
Rating: 10/10

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Well, now that I need a new lock I decided to break the bank and managed to get a Kryptonite New York 3000 from Wiggle.co.uk for £49 - I would say that it's significantly better then my last cable ABUS and should stop most scumbags - it weighs a tonne though!

yenrod

CISA 285/75

IMG0166A.jpg

Cycle magazine did a piece recently on how easy it is to break locks. Don't bother with cable locks, they can be cut very easily. Even the SoldSecure Gold rating locks didn't last more than a minute. Why is that? Well, a cycle thief will use a stubby jack or a 42 inch bolt cropper. SoldSecure use tweezers, hammer, hairdryer, my wife's nailfile, when testing the product (I exaggerate, slightly). In any event, they don't use the same tools a thief would use? Why not? Because if they did, none of the locks would get a rating.

SoldSecure are now under investigation by trading standards authorities.

I bought one of they locks too, it came with a cable too. I leave them in the bike locker at the work instead of lugging it about.
tundragumski said:
Well, now that I need a new lock I decided to break the bank and managed to get a Kryptonite New York 3000 from Wiggle.co.uk for £49 - I would say that it's significantly better then my last cable ABUS and should stop most scumbags - it weighs a tonne though!

Tynan

Veteran
I think people lose perspective on locks, best defence is not to leave your bike where the wrong people can have access to it without others noticing them

and for long enough for them to notice it and get the right tools to the scene

sure Sheldon say a hard lock and a cable are good because they require two separate tools

anyhow, the cops tend to take an interest in chavs wandering around with heavy duty tools

I do use £50 chains although I leave them where I have to leave the bike, in semi secure surroundings, no passing traffic and some sort of cctv/security

just about to fit a ground anchor to the trimetals shed as it happens

revs

I agree - if they want to steal it, they will, no matter what locks you use.

However, thieves tend to go for the easy steal. If it's difficult, and more than a few seconds work, then they will likely not bother.

Yesterday my GF's bike and many next to it were stolen. All the stolen bikes had cheap/thin cable locks. They were cut through (near the number pad).

My bike had an Abus D lock and a thick Abus cable lock. The locks weren't touched, no signs of tampering at all.

So the thieves obviously knew the locks weren't easy to break, and as such, didn't even bother.

Unfortunately I had not put the cable through the rear wheel - so that was stolen!

(All this was in a "Secure" Car Park with CCTV/lighting and security Patrols!)

gavintc

Guru
On the credit side, your previous lock deterred a would-be thief and was weak enough for you to get it cut by a locksmith. I think that is a result. Imagine the scenario that the lock was damaged by thief, but could not be cut by locksmith, you could have come back in the morning to a stripped down bike.

Top Bottom