Locking quick release wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottie

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been covered previously but I could not find any posts related to this.

I just picked my new hybrid and it has quick release wheels...so am I right in thinking thieves will nick these if not tied down...?
My question is - what is the best lock to do this? I gather from reading some of the postings that 2 or 3 different types of lock is the safest option.
I have just ordered this and was wondering whether it is big enough to lock a detached front wheel, frame and back wheel to a fixed railing/pole?
1 x Abus Granit X Plus 54 23cm D Lock
(Just realised I wanted the bigger one, but order has been processed now so cannot change)

Should I be removing my front wheel and locking it to the frame or back wheel anyway? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't do this...?

If I need a separate chain then does this have to be the £80-100 high security ones or would a cheaper one + the above D lock be a reasonable deterant.

Thanks in advance

Davidc

Guru
My insurance won't cover wheels unless the QR is replaced with something which requires tools. Not sure how they'd know though.

If I remember to take it I have a 10mm cable with loops at each end which I put through the front wheel and lock with the D lock (that's usually through frame, back wheel, and a bike stand/ lamp post etc.)

I also have alarms on both bikes which if set should deafen anyone trying to get a wheel off or cut the cable.

Edit: The cable is meant for motorbikes and has no lock with it, and cost £10 in a sale.

Crankarm

Guru
scottie said:
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been covered previously but I could not find any posts related to this.

I just picked my new hybrid and it has quick release wheels...so am I right in thinking thieves will nick these if not tied down...?
My question is - what is the best lock to do this? I gather from reading some of the postings that 2 or 3 different types of lock is the safest option.
I have just ordered this and was wondering whether it is big enough to lock a detached front wheel, frame and back wheel to a fixed railing/pole?
1 x Abus Granit X Plus 54 23cm D Lock
(Just realised I wanted the bigger one, but order has been processed now so cannot change)

Should I be removing my front wheel and locking it to the frame or back wheel anyway? I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't do this...?

If I need a separate chain then does this have to be the £80-100 high security ones or would a cheaper one + the above D lock be a reasonable deterant.

Thanks in advance

Abus Granit D-locks are excellent. Gold rated. I haven't had a bicycle stolen in 5 years since using it. I have the longer version which whilst a little heavier is very secure and highly rated. Easily goes through my bike frame and two wheels. The last D-lock I used was a Kryptonite New Yorker which as as much use as a piece of string.

OP
OP
S

scottie

Crankarm said:
Abus Granit D-locks are excellent. Gold rated. I haven't had a bicycle stolen in 5 years since using it. I have the longer version which whilst a little heavier is very secure and highly rated. Easily goes through my bike frame and two wheels. The last D-lock I used was a Kryptonite New Yorker which as as much use as a piece of string.

Hi Crankarm,
Is that the 30cm version? Is it long enough to go through both wheels?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Scottie

what size tyres do you have on the wheels- you want the d lock to fit through frame and both wheels and through the stand - without leaving too much space for thieves to get leverage. Abus X plus is good. I'd second crankarm re Kryptonite New York- all style no substance

OP
OP
S

scottie

ttcycle said:
Hi Scottie

what size tyres do you have on the wheels- you want the d lock to fit through frame and both wheels and through the stand - without leaving too much space for thieves to get leverage. Abus X plus is good. I'd second crankarm re Kryptonite New York- all style no substance

Hi ttcycle,
That's what I want to do
Tyres are Continental Contact 700 x 37c, on these wheels I think - Alex ACE-19 36h w/CNC and SSE.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hmmm with those size of tyres the lock may not be able to fit through-best bet is to just try it once you have it sent to you.

Sorry to not be of more help!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have some pinhead skewers, they seem great as a deterent, but wouldn't take long to dremel off IMO.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Frightening how thieves appear to be prepared and equipped for any circumstance.

I don't leave my bike anywhere up here in rural Northumberland mind.

Crankarm

Guru
scottie said:
Hi Crankarm,
Is that the 30cm version? Is it long enough to go through both wheels?

Yup, more than long enough.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Abus_Granit_X_Plus_54_30cm_D_Lock_With_USH_Bracket/5360028495/

Don't want to tempt fate, but if you are serious about your bike's security this is the one to get. Wiggle are doing it at a good price £66.05 as well this is about £10 cheaper than other places. Mind I don't want everyone to have one as nice bikes with crappy cable locks or weak D-locks will be no more and thieves won't be able to take these in preference to mine.

Tip - if taking off your front wheel to lock it with the back and frame, carry a piece of card with you to put under the front forks to minimise damage. Also you can tell if some one has messed with your bike as on your return this piece of card may be missing.......

Always check what your are locking your bike to that it can't easily be cut itself, unbolted, bent or just lifted out of the ground as in the case of some street sign poles. I generally only go for Oxford hoops concreted into the ground which are solid ie if there is movement in them I find another.

I like the idea of an alarm suggested by another poster. Also if bike is really delish, apart from never taking it out, fit a tracker or concealed pin hole cameras. If you spend serious money on a bike you should spend a decent amount on security and systems to recover it in the event it is targetted or goes AWOL IMHO.

Slim

Über Member
I've got Pitlocks on both wheels (same key does both). There's also a matching seatpost lock if you feel the need.

They provide a bit of peace of mind when I lock just the frame to a stand.

Top Bottom