Loctite for BB bolt? Any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am getting a new chainset and I would like to loctite the bolt that secures the chainset.

However there are a number of different types I believe. Would you normally loctite these parts? and if you do can you recommend which loctite number I should use.

Also where can you get loctite from? Have had a quick look in halfords and DIY store but can't find any.

Many thanks

Dan_h

I am getting a new chainset and I would like to loctite the bolt that secures the chainset.

However there are a number of different types I believe. Would you normally loctite these parts? and if you do can you recommend which loctite number I should use.

Also where can you get loctite from? Have had a quick look in halfords and DIY store but can't find any.

Many thanks

which bit are you proposing to use loctite on exactly? I personally don't use loctite anywhere on my bike and have not had any problems (it will probably all fall apart now I have said that!).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another one here who can't see the use of using loctite.

If the crank is put in the spindle correctly and the bolt tightened correctly then there should not be a problem.

If you need to use an adhesive solution to lock a thread then there must be something wrong with the fastners. However, on my partners bike I did use Weldtite adhesive to stop a pedal unscrewing from a semi stripped alloy crank arm. Weldtite is a PVA emulsion (not the usual Hobbiests and crafters PVA solution, and it is available for about £8 per 300ml bottle from model shops) it does lock solid when cured and is coldwater resistant. About 12 months and 2000 miles later, when I eventually got around to replacing the chain & sprockets I just used some hot water from the kettle to soften the adhesive and unscrewed the pedal from the crank.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You don't need loctite on a bike, just do them up tight, using loctite can cause probs, if you do use it just a small amount.

Top Bottom