London Bridge is down - what happens when the Queen dies...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
When you've calmed down a bit, you might care to explain how female genital mutilation, the appalling attitude to women in parts of India and Pakistan, and the other ills you cited is the fault of the British Empire.

As regards looking forward, you are the one who is stuck in the 19th century, constantly repeating the same guff about subjugation.
There are many feminist scholars who would cite the encouragement of the subjugation of Indian women during British rule, as a symptom of the divide and rule tactics employed by those colonisers .

All bound up in the supposed 'civilising influence' narrative of the Brits over the 'uncivilised' culture they found there -

Whereas it was no such thing - the culture was already highly civilised, diverse, and cultured - no doubt also sexist in its way - but not necessarily worse than any of the discrimination found in so called 'civilised' Brittania.

However the British administration, did little or nothing to do away with any inherent sexism they found, unless it suited their narrow purposes - again of divide and rule - they merely reinforced a pecking order which conveniently placed women at the bottom of the pile - as per usual ...

That's not to absolve the present administrations of those countries of responsibility from doing more about the current situation -

But nor can our colonial history there claim to be wholly blameless either - i'm sure even now we could petition more strongly for womens rights in those countries if our administration gave much of a mind to..

Chris S

Guru
I mean its quite likely that China will become the next 'world superpower' and who knows maybe Mandarin becomes the next 'lingua franca'
I wouldn't count on it. Chinese companies use the English language to invest in India.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The British Empire was a burden on most that was a part of it worse for some of course than others. This includes Britons who were heavily taxed and conditions awful with Child labour at the forefront with homelessness high. Did ordinary Britons gain from it? No, is my answer. Most of the wealth was held up by the aristocracy. Any talk of repatriations does grind me just a bit. As this fairy tale image the uneducated seem to have of life inside Britain during colonial times is deeply flawed. Can it really be argued that the very expensive Royal Navy, Silver Spoons, Sugar Cubes and later Rubber for the few, really justify modern day tax payers paying others X amount of money to make the wrong doings somehow better? I don't see how punishing people twice is very helpful at all...

This being said, im not a Royalist nor am i a Republican. I have my own ideas about politics for this country and it involves neither of those things...
I'd agree that the lot of the working class Britisher in the time of empire wasn't very much better than that of many residents of the colonies.

Basically we just weren't very nice - to rather a lot of people - on a global scale - i'm not sure why we thought that was ok - but there we are..

The best reparation that we might make, at least in the shorter term, is to own up to our past errant behaviours, and show a modicum of contrition, instead of trying to whitewash or glorify them - and resolve to do a lot better in our future efforts -

On a good day - we can even be quite decentish - folks - but could still do a lot better for sure .. :blink:

Dave Davenport

Legendary Member
I think the queen is a decent, honourable person who has fulfilled her role as she see's it to the best of her ability and probably the detriment of her personal happiness. However, I don't believe this country can become the egalitarian, truly democratic country I for one would like it to become whilst we still have a monarchy sitting at the apex of a system that perpetuates entrenched power and privilege.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think the queen is a decent, honourable person who has fulfilled her role as she see's it to the best of her ability and probably the detriment of her personal happiness. However, I don't believe this country can become the egalitarian, truly democratic country I for one would like it to become whilst we still have a monarchy sitting at the apex of a system that perpetuates entrenched power and privilege.
+++

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
I think the queen is a decent, honourable person who has fulfilled her role as she see's it to the best of her ability and probably the detriment of her personal happiness.
In many ways she is a victim of the system too. Yes, it’s gilded, but it’s still a cage. Setting her free now and expecting her to thrive in the wide world may not be the kindest course of action, but we should make sure we don’t imprison anyone else in the same way for the whole of their lives.

MichaelW2

Veteran
I think the Queen should abdicate, Charles should step aside and let William be king.

When I hear people making suggestions like that I sometimes want to give them a slapping and tell them that in a monarchy you get the monarch you are given. If you get to pick and choose your head of state you live in a republic and have a president.

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think the Queen should abdicate, Charles should step aside and let William be king.

When I hear people making suggestions like that I sometimes want to give them a slapping and tell them that in a monarchy you get the monarch you are given. If you get to pick and choose your head of state you live in a republic and have a president.
But why do we need a head of state? I still don’t get that not having a monarchy means we have to have a President. Can the Prime Minister not do that?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's the sort of weirdness that ensues when you've never had a empire!
Sounds like a great idea..

The burden of lunching with other bored dignitaries can then be shared out more fairly .

I still think my popularly voted in, alternate, granny or grandpa 'monarch for a years term' scheme has some legs though..

Top Bottom