London Bridge is down - what happens when the Queen dies...

stephec

Legendary Member
Mod note:

@Fab Foodie

Thread is moving well OT.

It is not (at least currently) causing any moderation issues (it's a relatively benign subject) so we are letting the discussion drift.
He's a right trouble causer isn't he? 😄

On a more serious note, I'll say no more on here then.

These seem to suggest that Britain imposed itself on other nations, although the last sentence of part 5 probably sums it up.

View attachment 575172

View attachment 575173
Of course Britain imposed itself on other countries. That's how Empires tend to be built. It was tyrannical and not good by modern standards, but the past really was a different world with different ideas on morality. That doesn't excuse it of course but it does help explain it.

Oops. Just read the mods note about going OT.

At least QE is still alive and well.

OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ahem....

Shall we leave the sun to set on the Empire discussion and consider the end of the Queens reign and all that goes with it?
Should Phil the Greek go first, do you think the Queen would chuck-in the towel?
How will the nation react to King Charles and Queen Camilla?

So many more things in the future than those of the past.....

BoldonLad

Veteran
Ahem....

Shall we leave the sun to set on the Empire discussion and consider the end of the Queens reign and all that goes with it?
Should Phil the Greek go first, do you think the Queen would chuck-in the towel?
How will the nation react to King Charles and Queen Camilla?

So many more things in the future than those of the past.....
My guess at answers to the above:

1. If Philip goes first, I think the Queen will soldier on

2. King Charles / Queen Camilla. For a large majority of the population (my guess 75%+) they couldn't care less. Yes, the "Royal Correspondents" may wet themselves over supposed "vital constitutional events", and Laura may bore us every evening with the latest "news", but, most of us are more concerned about when will the pubs open, and, when can we go on holiday, or, in the case of Mrs @BoldonLad, when will the hairdressers re-open?

Last edited:

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
It might be news to the Guardian, but its been in the public domain since pretty much the dawn of the internet. The problem is that the plans are widely held (every police force has an officer, usually the chiefs batman, assigned to this, and I can only presume that every council and large public body will also be privy) and somone somewhere is willing to blab. Loose lips didn't matter before the interweb, but today...

I can tell you that they are one word wrong on the operation name.

byegad

Legendary Member
That's very cynical. 😂
But true!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The answer to that is in the story you posted.

The queen (when she was still a princess) said in 1947: “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service, and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong,”

She could, theoretically, keep that promise after abdicating, but it's always been thought she views the Coronation Oath as a lifelong commitment.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Well yes, but wouldn't you agree that there is in fact some overlap between the two? When the Queen dies the sun will finally have set, she is the last of the old school, the end of an era.

1614127181337.png

Top Bottom