London Calling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Apologies to you pagans, but another London topic.

For the last week the London Paper (a giveaway rag from the Sun/Times stable) has been mounting an attack on cyclists and cycling and I've been writing to the editor and the letters page telling them to can it. So far they've ignored me and kept piling on the garbage.
Here's their latest crap:
http://www.thelondonpaper.com/cs/Sa...154123023?packedargs=suffix=ArticleController
You can see that you can add a comment; I've added two but I think that I've been blocked or black-listed so they'll not be printed.
Perhaps some of you might be luckier.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
(I did get a letter printed in the Metro this morning, tho'.)

I sometimes wonder if the best way to react to articles like this is to avoid reading the paper/clicking on the website etc. They seem to live off creating a stir. Is there such a thing as a trolling newspaper?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I nearly commented, but I couldn't be bothered and not being from London, am not sure I qualify. Although, the incident this guy describes could happen in any city, anywhere...

I suspect if he thinks it's so risky, he's just not a very good cyclist and should pay more attention. I'd be interested if you London folk agree with his impressions though...

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
mr_cellophane said:
D Shipp ?

Indeed. The original letter was shorter, but the editor obviously felt that the joke had to be explained. I shouldn't write to papers at all, when they do print something it's always been tampered with.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"Chickens" like the writer are better off on the tube - if you want to live your life wrapped up in cotton wool then don't write about it....

domtyler

Über Member
Don't see what your problem is with that article, it was quite an interesting read and simply voiced his opinion. Or is it that you want to clamp down on anyone expressing their thoughts when they happen to not be shared by you? ;)

hackbike 6

It's an opinion but it's a poor attitude to cycle around London with.IMHO.

I wouldn't bother replying to it...it's not worth my time.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
It was part of a campaign thet the paper has been mounting since the Friday before trying to convince it's readers that cycling is so dangerous that no sensible person would attempt it twice; and that those who do are the scourge of London.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
User said:
My response is as follows:

I ride every day in London and I think Giles Morris' article is absolute tosh! Has he ever ridden a bike?

You can ride safely in London and hundreds of thousands of people do every day. Yes, there are accidents - but there are accidents with pedestrians, motorcyclists and car drivers as well. Nothing in life is risk free but the benefits of cycling regularly (particularly the health benefits) far outweigh the risks.

It is a pity that the standards of driving amongst many motorists in London are so poor - but these will improve as the number of cyclists grow. So come on Giles, get on your bike and see why it is the cheapest, most reliable and most fun way of getting round London!

Let's see if it gets printed.

Not a chance. I'm trying a different tack; let's see if this get's printed:

I agree totally that cycling in the City is something that no sane person would do; it's just too dangerous. Promted by a desire to be eco-friendly I tried cycling the 2 miles into work that I normally drive. Never again! It was obvious at once that I'd be killed if I attempted to cycle on the roads, so at first I kept to the pavement. My way was constantly impeded by pedestrians milling about like sheep meaning that I had to force my way through shouting at them, sometimes rather heatedly. I found that even riding on the footpaths was not at all safe, at every junction I had to ride across the road in a suicidal dash that must have scared the hell out of the motorists who had to make emergency stops in order to avoid killing me. Eventually I decided that it might be safer to stay on the road after all, at least as a cyclist I didn't have to bother stopping at traffic lights. I arrived at work hot, sweaty and worked up, not how I wish to start my day. So tomorrow it's back in the car and I'll not be giving any quarter to thos madcap idiots who think that they're saving the planet but in reality are just making a nuisance of themselves.

Top Bottom