London-Hastings Solstice (overnight) ride 23rd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
For those further north, there is a similar ride from Carlisle to Edinburgh (100 miles) on the same night. I did it last year and enjoyed it. Not so sure it's worth messing up my sleep pattern for a repeat this year, but I'll decide nearer the time. Weather forecast will play a major part in my decision!

http://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

Thanks shadow.

i had expected it to be paid for.That link says free but sales closed.

But says it is unsupported - all kinda odd.

Nothing to stop folk turning up to the start as far as I can see, though there would be the small matter of the route.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks shadow.

i had expected it to be paid for.That link says free but sales closed.

But says it is unsupported - all kinda odd.

Nothing to stop folk turning up to the start as far as I can see, though there would be the small matter of the route.

The ride does appear to be 'free'.

I suspect the organisers - BrakeTheCycle - see it as a marketing opportunity for their paid for cycle tours.

Lots of lovely email addresses and contact details from cyclists interested in doing decent length rides.

Running this one 'unsupported' probably means it doesn't cost them a lot.

https://www.brakethecycle.co.uk/

Lots of lovely email addresses and contact details from cyclists interested in doing decent length rides.
Sorry pale rider, don't understand that bit.

May skip anyway. Despite the writeup, it may be a bit racy and not into that. There's a race hashtag for some reason on the eventbrite page.

Despite the writeup, it may be a bit racy and not into that.
Why do you think it might be 'racy'? To me, there is nothing to imply it might be 'racy'. If there are no stops midway, then 9 hours over 75 miles is not race pace. Unless folk stop off for 'a wild swim (or two)'. Quite why anyone would want to stop in the middle of the night in the middle of a bike ride to go for a swim is beyond me. Going for a dip at the end on Hastings beach is much more appealing!

Why do you think it might be 'racy'?

The tag they have put on this:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/brake-the-cycle-7268128235

also, there's a new breed of racers around Peckham, which is not what it used to be. Now one of London's leading trendy hotspots.

edit: in connection with that last point, got nattering to a nice chap as I cycled down Peckham Rye a few weeks ago as his nice top caught my eye. He said that he had been out with this bunch.

https://peckham.cc/

maintained that they were a broad ranging social group but then started saying that riders all had clips, which didn't make it sound quite so open.

Just checked their web page (with some seriously wonky/drugged spelling) and they seem to say the following are a MUST

clips
dropped bars
bib tights

but do look kinda interesting, may turn up on my flat bar bike with shorts or lycra bottoms sans bib.

I do ride clips most of the time but with that sort of intro they will put off a lot of folk they claim to want to attract.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sorry pale rider, don't understand that bit.

May skip anyway. Despite the writeup, it may be a bit racy and not into that. There's a race hashtag for some reason on the eventbrite page.

Perhaps we are at cross purposes.

The company collects the details of the cyclists doing the free night ride.

That's useful targeted info because cyclists doing the night ride might be inclined to buy one of their tours.

Sorry pale rider.

very slow this morning - blame it on the herbal tea.

Had it in my mind that there were lots of email addresses on open show - some sort of data breach.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sorry pale rider.

very slow this morning - blame it on the herbal tea.

Had it in my mind that there were lots of email addresses on open show - some sort of data breach.

No probs, my original comment could have been clearer.

I've seen links to a couple of other organised solstice rides elsewhere in the country which were also 'free'.

If I recall, one was run by a local cycling initiative, but the other was run by a company who I suspect was also after the rider list for marketing purposes.

Top Bottom