London Sightseer Audax anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trikebeard

Was looking at doing the London Sightseer this year on Wednesday July 1st, anyone interested in joining an ICE Q for a 100k spin round our nations capital?

I know alot of you may have real jobs, family, 'other things to do', etc. But you know you want to!

;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Whilst its my kind of conveyance and distance, the timing might knock this one out for me. Apart from Wednesdays "workday" status (bluuurggh) I wouldn't like to think how long 100k in London traffic would take. Being in a (comparatively) wide track vehicle, down at exhaust height, might not be a world of fun.

OP
OP
T

Trikebeard

I read someones blog about the sightseer from last year and it seemed that the time frame was pretty good, 62 odd miles in no less than 5 hours and no more than 10, though it was on a sunday which helped quite a bit I would imagine! ;)

But that aside the route seemed pretty good and wasn't on many big busy roads, there's some river side riding and some park detours, one via Buckingham palace (que silly tourists and many cameras as a fleet of stunning recumbent machines roll past!) It seemed like a good way to spend a day.

I cycle around Cambridge everyday, through all kinds of traffic, and dont seem to have too much of a problem dealing with it! But Cambridge is not even slightly comparable to London, with the exception that they both have a river in the middle...

I think you have to pay a small extra fee to join the race for the day, bringing the total to about £5 ;) the ride is going to be from near Hampton Court, across London to the Dome and back again.

here are some more details:
http://www.ctc-heartofengland.org.u...ightseer-audax&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=40

Hows the new trike Chonker? Treating you well I hope! How many miles have you racked up?

Chonker

Veteran
It's great ;) heavy thing to drag up hills though..

I've probably done around 70miles by now, I've been having cycling computer issues so not entirely sure. I've tried two now and I'm struggling to get the damned wheel sensor picking up correctly.

It's exam time for me this week so not been able to get out on it as much as I'd like ;)

I've been practicing hill climbing alot down at Redbridge Cycling Centre, it's so quiet there during the week I've had the circuit to myself some days!

62miles would be by far the longest ride I've done, but still plenty of time to build up to it and london's fairly flat I guess (or am I just being overly hopeful) ;)

OP
OP
T

Trikebeard

Trust me the hills get faster, I wont say that they get easier, cause im still out of breath by the top, but i do get there faster! ;)

As for the spedo issues have you got the mudguards on your Q? If so you should be able to get the comuputer on the wingmirror arm and the sensor attached to the side of the mudguards, usually needs a bit of rubber to push it that extra few millimeters to the get a clean signal from the wheel. If no mudguards i have seen people with the same computer position but with the sensor set up on the stearing somehow, sort of attached to the black plastic thingy that has the alluminimum truss rods leading to the steering! ;)

wow, reading that back it sounds a bit confusing! maybe i'll take some pictures later on to better explain! ;)

Oh and as for the flatness i really dont have a clue, im sure your pretty safe from any insane climbs, but again there might be some mini mountains!

Chonker

Veteran
I've got the front mud guards ordered but at the moment the sensor is mounted on the steering arm but this means the magnet is mounted quite close to the centre of the rim. Less dynamic imbalance I figured but my guess is the signal pulsewidth is much wider than the computer expects and is getting filtered. I'd like a picture of the sensor attached to the mudguard if you've got one ;)

I guess this is what you mean, this is how my sensor is mounted (not cateye though).

http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/tri..._model_accessories/computer/strada_sensor.jpg

OP
OP
T

Trikebeard

Ha, i've just de-mudguarded my bike for the summer, though im thinking of getting them back out (fearing the weather!) but i'll get the gist of it up on here shortly.

Just about to leave work, trying beat the rain home! Im faster than the weather, at least i hope i am!

dataretriever

Well I'm up for it.

I have my Sensor mounted on the steering arm of my Q and the computer on the mirror and have had no probs, I'll post some pics if anyone is interested....

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Slightly different issue but this is the mount for my Garmin 205 on a Trice Q:

DSC00011.jpg

Chonker

Veteran
Looks great, im regretting not just ponying up for a gps based one now, but I've spent quite a bit already and i can't send my one back now that it's been fitted :/

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
sounds like a great excuse to take a day off. though I will be going upright where does one sign up? i.e. is it a pukka audax with all that entails?

OP
OP
T

Trikebeard

Wow!
It has been a long week! So about this Audax, Im gonna sign up for it today, im printing forms as i type, the application and stuff is here:

http://www.ctc-heartofengland.org.u...ightseer-audax&option=com_eventlist&Itemid=40

So its 100k which is 62 and half ish miles, i'll be doing mine on a trice Q and i think it would be kinda kool to have a fleet of us there! As a preparation im going to be doing some fast wacks round this little course in Cambridgeshire:

http://tinyurl.com/omk8fv
(the google link was huge!)

And i might take a trip down to Southend at somepoint (72.5 miles)

I guess closer to the time when we are surer of numbers and the like, we should arange a time and place to meet. I think we have 4 so far, myself, chonker, dataretriever and grumpygreg.

Am i right?

Top Bottom