London to Amsterdam, 4-8 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've been meaning to do this for a while, but as I've just booked the ferries, I would appear to be committed to it. :evil:

This is just a very relaxed-pace sightseeing trip - 50 miles a day at 10-11mph average.

Fri 4th June
Train from Liverpool Street to Wickford (or cycle if you prefer)
Cycle to Harwich (approx 50 miles)
Dinner in Harwich
Overnight ferry to Hook of Holland, with cabin so a 'free' night's lodging (departing 23:45)

Sat 5th June
Arrive at 07:45
Hook of Holland to Amsterdam (approx 50 miles)
Overnight hotel in Amsterdam, with secure bike parking

Sun 6th June
Day in Amsterdam (cycling or sightseeing, as you like)
Overnight hotel in Amsterdam, with secure bike parking

Mon 7th June
Amsterdam to Hook of Holland (approx 50 miles)
Dinner in Hook of Holland
Overnight ferry to Harwich, with cabin so a 'free' night's lodging (departing 22:30)

Tue 8th June
Arrive at 06:30
Harwich to Wickford (approx 50 miles)
Train to Liverpool Street (or cycle if you prefer)

Costs:
Return ferry price currently £126 including en-suite single cabin for both outbound & return journeys
Two nights' hotel accommodation in Amsterdam approx £90 (details to be confirmed)

Ferry details are as follows:

Outbound
Harwich - Hook of Holland
Fri 4 Jun 2010
Select vehicle type as Bicycle
Dep. 23:45 Arr. 07:45
Select your choice of cabin (price above is for single outer cabin with window)

Return
Hook of Holland - Harwich
Mon 7 Jun 2010
Select vehicle type as Bicycle
Dep. 22:30 Arr. 06:30
Select your choice of cabin (price above is for single outer cabin with window)

Anyone fancy it?

Ben

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd love to, but almost certainly can't. BTW, which route from the Hoek to Amsterdam were you thinking of? Up the LF1 to Haarlem and turn right? Just curious.

Thanks.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

No idea yet on route, so suggestions very welcome. I'm looking for something quiet & scenic. If there's a decent wide cycle path, as I imagine there may be in the Netherlands, that would be ideal, otherwise back-roads.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The LF1 coast path goes up through the dunes, and is certainly quiet. I've got paper maps showing the cycle paths. (1cm=500 metres). If you want to borrow them, send me a PM with your address.

TijnUK

Amsterdammer here

Hi Ben,

I am from Amsterdam but live in Brighton nowadays.

I would suggest you'd go over Den Haag, Scheveningen, Wassenaar, Rijnsburg, Noordwijk,Heemstede, Zandvoort, Bloemendaal, Haarlem,Halfweg, Amsterdam.

This will be a slightly longer route but much prettier to ride and lots of good places on the way for Dutch Apple pie!

Check the ANWB site which is like the AA in the UK. Not sure if you can put it in English but any questions and I am happy to help.

http://route.anwb.nl/routeplanner/

You can get the route specifically for cycling. fiets = cycle.

I'd love to come with you but only got back from Amsterdam last week so don't think the missus would let me go.

Hope we'll hear how it all went.:wacko:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did the LF1 route up the coast to IJmuiden a couple of weeks ago and I can highly recommend it. It does get a bit busy on sunny Sundays!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Please let us know how you get on with the ferry and accomodation
I'd love to do this but wifey has strong opinions on budget stuff

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Ferry is currently £126 return, including cabin. I'll be sorting the hotel in the next few days, but last time I looked it was about 50 Euros a night, so around £90 for the two nights.

With meals and miscellaneous expenses, I'm guessing the total cost will come out somewhere around £450.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

slowmotion said:
The LF1 coast path goes up through the dunes, and is certainly quiet. I've got paper maps showing the cycle paths. (1cm=500 metres). If you want to borrow them, send me a PM with your address.
That's extremely kind, thank you. That certainly sounds like a good route to check out first, so I'll PM you my address.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

TijnUK said:
I am from Amsterdam
Ah, local knowledge, excellent!

I would suggest you'd go over Den Haag, Scheveningen, Wassenaar, Rijnsburg, Noordwijk,Heemstede, Zandvoort, Bloemendaal, Haarlem,Halfweg, Amsterdam.
Thanks - is it cycle path or road? I don't mind which, just handy to know.

How would you say it compares with the LF1 path?

This will be a slightly longer route but much prettier to ride and lots of good places on the way for Dutch Apple pie!
A very important consideration, of course!

Hope we'll hear how it all went.;)
There will definitely be a blog. :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
TijnUK said:
Hi Ben,

That's the LF1 and LF20 route. Absolutely all of it is cycle path.

TijnUK

Seems to be the same route indeed. If you want to have a hill (little one) there is "het kopje van Bloemendaal" Tarmac from one side and a brickroad the otherside. This is where everybody form the North of Holland goes to have a little feel for climbing.

Everywhere in Holland there are cycling paths and where there are none there are B roads. The whole attitude towards cycling is completely different between car drivers and cyclists. But you always need to take caution of course particularly when going fast as people have difficulty guessing how fast you'll bee going.
Be careful in Amsterdam as it can be a bit overwhelming with cars, cyclists, trams, busses, taxi's and tram rails,canals etc... But even in Amsterdam there are lots of cycling paths. Don't be distracted by the clogg wearing people :sad:.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

That's great, and the Routing Committee hereby declares that the Official Route. :-) I think we'll manage without the hill ...

Any suggestions on sources for choosing a 3-star hotel with secure bike parking? The trike means somewhere with a garage is ideal as it doesn't fit anything bike-specific.

TijnUK

I reckon you'll need to phone around as garage space in Amsterdam is a rarety. I am not sure how much you want to spend on the hotel but because of the low value of the pound don't expect it to be cheap.
You can eat and drink relatively cheap if you stay of the Leidscheplein and Rembrandtplein (plein = square). There are really nice pubs and restaurants in de Pijp (behind Heineken brewery) and de Jordaan . These are neighbourhoods and all joining to the centre. Amsterdam isn't that big and all is easy to reach by tram or even by foot.

Which hotel were you looking at?

So wish I could come. :biggrin:

Top Bottom