London to Brighton - any other lazy 9.15ers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'm doing the London to Brighton, and being allergic to mornings have opted for the lazy option of the 9.15am start. The friend I was doing it with is now going to be in Brazil then (talk about an extreme excuse to avoid it!). Since that will leave me as a Billy Nomates on the day, anyone from here taking the late-start option?

Ben

walker

when is it? I might ride over and start it with you if you need a buddy?

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Too late to register, but I gather that some naughty people do sneak in ... :-)

It's Sunday 15th June.

Ben

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you are not lined up prompt at 7am you will have to walk most of the way as it gets far too crowded, and even hump back bridges will see the road blocked with people dressed in football kit pushing their £99 full suspension pretend bicycles. Have an early Saturday night and set the alarm.

RedBike

If you are not lined up prompt at 7am you will have to walk most of the way as it gets far too crowded

Sadly he's not joking. We had real trouble making our way through the crowds at the start. Everyone just seemed to stop (quite literaly) on the slightest bit of uphill.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Hmmm ... been a few years since I've done this, but in the old days it was quieter if you set off in an early or late slot, and a scrum in between.

dudi

well I think 7am is the 2nd earliest slot available this year, so hopefully we won't have too much bother.

at least there will be fewer people to have to overtake!

Did it last year on a 8am start.

Slow getting out of London with the lights more than with the bikes but once out it was not too bad. Worst was with some narrow lanes that went up hill about half way.

Best advice I can give is to not stop for rests but rest when you are waiting in a hold up!

It was amazing how bad some riders were on hills. They walked up any sort of slope and many had not looked at a bike or trained in any way.

The later you start the more of the strugglers there are to pass. Better to get ahead of them where you can. They just stop and get off all over the road and clog it all up. Just shout at them to move left if you have to. They think you are a marshal and do as they are told mostly.

It is an experience for a newbie to do and I am pleased I did it but I am going for other rides this year (Norwich 100 next week gulp).

Round trip routes are so much easier to arrange too.

Top Bottom