London to Paris Sept 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulb55

Über Member
Hi All,

i know this subject has been discussed a few times before but i really want to do the London to Paris next sept 2012, i am regualr cyclist and do about 50 to 60 miles per week now so by Sept next year should be ok, LOL

But the whole point of this post is i want to do it for a charity likes Kids With Cancer or Cancer research but after trawling through the internet i cannot really find the match with the ride and the charity of my choice, preferably a 5 day ride finishing at the champs elysee with a low deposit and a maximum of £1400 target

Could anybody post me in the right direction and thanks in advance

burlingo

I did it last year with Skyline. A really well organised and enjoyable event.

Took about 3 days and we finished right by the Eiffel Tower.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I just did a ride with a company called Skyline (http://www.skylineevents.co.uk/). Give them a ring (020 7424 5500), as I'm sure you can just nominate which charity you wish to raise money for.

There are several companies who do the same (although one of them flicked us the Vs at Calais, so they can swivel if they think I'm recommending them!)

As far as training goes, distance isn't the issue, it's climbing. Get up as many massive hills as is humanly possible between now and then, go on teh step machine at the gym, go out in wind, snow and rain, as you will when you are over there.

Fundraising wise, it's easier than you think - I signed up in March and I've hit the target (obviously just want to riase as much as possible for the charity and I will probably go on doing things like cake stalls etc etc after the fundraisng for teh event is closed.)

Be creative - people want something in return for donations, as it's a bit more dificult to give away a tenner these days. So many local businesses have helped me by making donations to raffles and auctions (including the heavenly Liverpool Football Club!) I've been amazed by people's generosity with their time too - I did a caberet where my comedian and musician friends proided a whole evening of entertainment for nothing - brilliant!

trj977

Über Member
I did it last year with the Royal British Legion. Early Sept 4 days, second time I have done it and will probably have a bash next year. Could not recommend it highly enough. Support, organization and camaraderie absolutely brilliant. Plus it finishes at the Arc De Triomphe. Further details and photos of past events here http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/poppybike

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
I just did a ride with a company called Skyline (http://www.skylineevents.co.uk/). Give them a ring (020 7424 5500), as I'm sure you can just nominate which charity you wish to raise money for.

There are several companies who do the same (although one of them flicked us the Vs at Calais, so they can swivel if they think I'm recommending them!)

As far as training goes, distance isn't the issue, it's climbing. Get up as many massive hills as is humanly possible between now and then, go on teh step machine at the gym, go out in wind, snow and rain, as you will when you are over there.

Fundraising wise, it's easier than you think - I signed up in March and I've hit the target (obviously just want to riase as much as possible for the charity and I will probably go on doing things like cake stalls etc etc after the fundraisng for teh event is closed.)

Be creative - people want something in return for donations, as it's a bit more dificult to give away a tenner these days. So many local businesses have helped me by making donations to raffles and auctions (including the heavenly Liverpool Football Club!) I've been amazed by people's generosity with their time too - I did a caberet where my comedian and musician friends proided a whole evening of entertainment for nothing - brilliant!

Thanks guys,

Yep , just ordered an info pack from skyline and at least i can choose my charity so keep your eyes peeled for updates next year on my progress and of course the ride

floss nicoll

hi just reading through this topic -

I also have always wanted to do london to paris but wanted more freedom than an organised event. myself and a couple of family members were thinking of doing it ourselves as we have a van to take for support. we would then raise as much money for a charity as poss and fund the trip ourselves. Problem come with finding the route.

does anyone know of a good website with a cycle route for london to paris?

father ted

hi just reading through this topic -

I also have always wanted to do london to paris but wanted more freedom than an organised event. myself and a couple of family members were thinking of doing it ourselves as we have a van to take for support. we would then raise as much money for a charity as poss and fund the trip ourselves. Problem come with finding the route.

does anyone know of a good website with a cycle route for london to paris?

We did this last year. 21 of us did it in 3 days and it cost around £280 - £350 each. I have the route if you want it i'll e-mail you when I get to the computer with it on. We did London - Dover, Calais to Amiens then Amiens to Paris. The second day, first in France, was full of country roads were we did not see a car in hours.

Just remember to book a flexible ferry ticket!!!!

Our website was www.cjwoods.com/london2paris/YaBB.pl but I dont know if it's still restricted.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
We did this last year. 21 of us did it in 3 days and it cost around £280 - £350 each. I have the route if you want it i'll e-mail you when I get to the computer with it on. We did London - Dover, Calais to Amiens then Amiens to Paris. The second day, first in France, was full of country roads were we did not see a car in hours.

Just remember to book a flexible ferry ticket!!!!

Our website was www.cjwoods.com/london2paris/YaBB.pl but I dont know if it's still restricted.

Hi Ted,

Now that's given me another option and would seriously look at doing it your way with maybe a few other cycling buddies
Would it be possible to send me the route as well by e mail via PM, you have really got me thinking here and at least all of the money raised would go to the charity, i find organised trips a bit sterilised in such that you HAVE to do what the leaders or other riders do and just imagine my excitement planning this trip, wow cant wait already

Top Bottom