London to Paris via Newhaven/Dieppe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matason

Hello,

Thanks for the great site and all the helpful information!

At the end of the month I'm cycling from London to Paris via Newhaven - Dieppe and I'm looking for:

a) route suggestions and any roads to avoid at all costs!
:blush: general advice about cycling in France, specific cycling highway code, it's my first time

Thanks,

Chris

andym

Über Member
In general the D-roads are quieter than the N-roads.

OP
OP
matason

matason

Thanks

Thanks very much, really appreciate the advice and route offer, will PM you now.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
getting to Newhaven - what day and what time are you going? The traffic on some of the minor roads is a bit intense during the daytime - except on a Sunday. I'll write you a route appropriate to the time. There will be teddy bears, though.

Oh - the first bridge you cross from the ferry terminal in to the centre of Dieppe is metal mesh decked. I'd walk it, and if it is in the least bit damp I'd say not walking it would be daft.

OP
OP
matason

matason

dellzeqq said:
getting to Newhaven - what day and what time are you going? The traffic on some of the minor roads is a bit intense during the daytime - except on a Sunday. I'll write you a route appropriate to the time. There will be teddy bears, though.

Thank you very much! I plan to set off on Friday 28th August at 8am (but I'm open to suggestions if you think that is a bad time), my ferry is from Newhaven at 10.30pm

Teddy bears?

dellzeqq said:
Oh - the first bridge you cross from the ferry terminal in to the centre of Dieppe is metal mesh decked. I'd walk it, and if it is in the least bit damp I'd say not walking it would be daft.

Thanks, I will walk it whether wet or not, I'm extremely grateful for any advice, it's just two weeks away now and I must confess I've been having the odd moment of anxiety!

Thanks again for your help :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Echo what Rich P said. Avenue Verte is the way to go for the first 40km or so. Then (depending on pace) something like Beauvais > Chantilly > Paris works well. There is talk of a nice approach to Paris through forest or canal paths or something. I always end up chasing the Tower off the horizon past the apollo rocket thing. Have a great one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
rich p said:
http://www.voiesvertes.com/htm/detaille76diar_av1.htm

This shows the route of a 'green road' from Dieppe to Forges les Eaux which is a really nice way of getting out of Dieppe on a disused and well-paved railway line.

+1 from me, and unless you want to go into Dieppe for supplies, you don't have to cross that metal bridge to get to it. (I've done it, but on three wheels, so no slippage problem).

The Avenue Verte is great, traffic free, lots of families and so on at weekends, and a nice stressless way to get into the whole 'being in France' thing. There is one icecream shack along it, but for additional cafes you can divert off and back again at various villages.

I think I've heard that one day the Avenue Verte will go all the way to Paris.

OP
OP
matason

matason

Thanks again

Thanks again, really really useful and reassuring information :smile:

I like the sound of the ice cream stand and yes I'll be heading along it on a Saturday so I'll look forward to meeting others along the way.

I'll check out the Beauvais > Chantilly > Paris suggestion, that could well be the ticket for me!

Just back from a 24m round trip to buy a little pannier to fit on the front of the Brompton, it has a clear map holder on top and is just about big enough to hold a bunch of bananas xx(

Thanks again for the advice chaps!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Right - starting at 8am isn't too bad a time, but a bit of defensive routeplanning won't go amiss. I don't know where you're starting in London, but, assuming it's not wildly to the east or the west I'd go through Clapham, Tooting Broadway, Mitcham, Wallington, turn right just before Coulsdon, go up the hill to Chipstead, on to the junction of the A217/M25, take the A217 downhill to Reigate, go round the one way system following the signs for A217 south, go over Cockshott Hill, cross the A2044, turn left on Lonesome Lane, go straight on through Meath (by which time the teddy bears will have caught your notice), keep straight on through Horley town centre, passing Waitrose on your left and the station on your right, join the B2036, go south to Cuckfield, take the left turn signposted Haywards Heath, turn left on to the A272 and go downhill in to Haywards Heath, go round the one way system (not great), go south on the B2112, turn left for Wivelsfield, follow the signs for Lewes, join the A26, as you go in to Lewes avoid the left turn that goes downhill for the town centre, follow the signs for Rodmell, and, once you're on the Rodmell Piddinghoe road, go in to Newhaven over the bridge and turn right for the ferry port, which is well signposted.........

OP
OP
matason

matason

That is just awesome

That is just awesome! Thank you so much for putting that together. I really feel like it's all starting to come together and the support from you guys here on Cycle Chat has been top notch.

I'll have a good study of that route, I was planning on leaving from Trafalgar Sq. so it should be spot on!

Thanks again!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There we go - from Trafalgar Square go straight through that arch thingy (designed by Aston Webb) and up to the big white block of flats with the flag over the top. Get in the second lane from the left, curve right past the block of flats, go towards another big arch, (designed by Decimus Burton) turn left on the gyratory, take Grosvenor Crescent (the second exit), curve left, curve right with the green square on your right, go straight ahead at the complex junction, turn left, turn right almost immediately, turn left, turn right, see arch with painted stonework courses, curve left, turn right at major road, go on to Sloane Square gyratory, take second exit, go straight for half a mile, over Chelsea Bridge, straight ahead at roundabout, straight ahead for another mile and a bit, come to Clapham Common, go on to cycle path (mind kerb) go straight across common, at road that bisects common go straight on, this brings you to Clapham South, turn left on to road, then right and you're on the way to Tooting........

OP
OP
matason

matason

Fancy a ride?

Brilliant! Above and beyond the call of duty and much appreciated!

dellzeqq, do you fancy a ride on the 27th? :surrender:

Tony

Oh dear...how can you tell he is an architect.
If I remember correctly, the very first Night Ride to the Coast was to Newhaven.

Top Bottom