FNRttC London to WHITSTABLE - 25 August 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
36043762574_d652abdc8a_b.jpg

36738134661_ee9921d1ed_b.jpg

36738140231_1442da0fd5_b.jpg

36043749374_b857b5c301_b.jpg

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4935240, member: 1314"]I was a Waymarker on a Whitstable ride and got to the pub last as a result, simply 'cos I double-sured I was the last before leaving my post at the bus stop in Whitstable (and previous turns). It's not rocket science. Has Fnrttc now become more impersonalised?[/QUOTE]
I've only been on one this year, but I would say absolutely not. Anyway User, why not find out for yourself?:okay:

wanda2010

Guru
I might have to order a whole victoria sponge to myself next time. I had two slices and wanted to take a third slice home, but it was sold out :sad:. Delish as always :okay::okay:

frank9755

Cyclist
Re the waymarker thing, putting the responsibility on new waymarkers who don't know how things work or the ride leader for picking duff waymarkers, or other organisers for not training / briefing new riders properly are all a bit unfair.

The people who are best-placed to fix this are those of us who have both a bit of experience and the legs to get to the front of the ride, of which there are many. If more of us had made the effort to get back to the front, then Ross would have been able to pick someone he knew, and there wouldn't have been a problem. I didn't do it systematically as I spent a bit of time chatting to the reprobates at the back but, applying this logic, it was as much my fault as anyone's that there wasn't a waymarker on that left turn, as it could / should have been me!

Last edited:

Fergs

Guru
One of my mates was on his first fnrttc and managed a turn as waymarker late on without causing any inadvertent detours, so it can be done if the principle is understood :smile:

He had a great time and says he'll be back for another, which is the highest praise anyone can give. Big thumbs up to Ross, the TECs, waymarkers and all-uppers, with a special mention for the halfway stop crew: his biggest amazement was that people would ruin their Saturday in order to spend a couple of hours pushing rolls and cake into a mob of sweaty cyclists in the middle of the night and cleaning up after them.:notworthy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Re the waymarker thing, putting the responsibility on new waymarkers who don't know how things work or the ride leader for picking duff waymarkers, or other organisers for not training / briefing new riders properly are all a bit unfair.

The people who are best-placed to fix this are those of us who have both a bit of experience and the legs to get to the front of the ride, of which there are many. If more of us had made the effort to get back to the front, then Ross would have been able to pick someone he knew, and there wouldn't have been a problem. I didn't do it systematically as I spent a bit of time chatting to the reprobates at the back but, applying this logic, it was as much my fault as anyone's that there wasn't a waymarker on that left turn, as it could / should have been me!
A certain amount of team self flagellation is de-riguer after a FNRttC ;-)

Ben was first there - a good chase to get back on to the group, then he beat us in the sprint after Olaf had led us out through the town. It appears there is a Strava segment: Race to Breakfast, which gives all the details anyone could want on it.

I'd never thought of checking Strava! I've just uploaded my gpx for last year, August 2016, and unfortunately I've knocked everyone down the list, as I'm now KOM!

I wasn't even racing, as I'd been waymarking the last turn as Tim had accidently let the riders start racing from Faversham, so he'd got left behind, and at least 15 had zoomed past me before Tim came along to relieve me, and only then did I set off to slowly reel them all in and get to breakfast first.

Strava.jpg

Perhaps next time I'll try a bit harder. :okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd never thought of checking Strava! I've just uploaded my gpx for last year, August 2016, and unfortunately I've knocked everyone down the list, as I'm now KOM!

I wasn't even racing, as I'd been waymarking the last turn as Tim had accidently let the riders start racing from Faversham, so he'd got left behind, and at least 15 had zoomed past me before Tim came along to relieve me, and only then did I set off to slowly reel them all in and get to breakfast first.

View attachment 370608

Perhaps next time I'll try a bit harder. :okay:
I'm 21st....woo!! Just shows how few people have done it though....

Top Bottom