London's Cycle Superhighways - First two routes unveiled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

According to Boris, two new cycling "superhighways" will be with us (well, us Londoners) by May 2010. http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=22318

"The aim of the Cycle Superhighways is to provide safe, direct and continuous routes into central London from the outer boroughs, making life easier for cyclists and encouraging those who travel into work by other modes of transport to commute by bike, helping to cut congestion, relieve overcrowding, and cutting emissions."

and

"Each route will be given its own identity with consistent and easy to follow road markings and signs. Safety issues will be addressed through specific measures such as the provision of advance stop boxes and providing continuous lanes through junctions as appropriate."

I don't see how, unless the "Superhighways" are completely segregated, cyclists will be any better off than they are now. Motorists currently ignore ASLs and cycle lanes, putting the lives of cyclists in danger. Will they change their behaviour simply because it's a "Superhighway" rather than a simple "cycle lane"?

Still, it's a step in the right direction, I suppose!

Origamist

Legendary Member

Cycle Superhighways everyones' talking about them!

Hi James,

Just seen your post about the Cycle Superhighways, it's so good that people are talking about them and I agree to a certain extent that the lanes are at least moving cycling in the right direction!

I was wondering if you would fill in my survey about 'Cycle Superhighways' that I have created for my dissertation which is looking into promotion of cyling at all policy levels and their subsequent success!

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/306475/Cycle-Superhighways-what-do-you-think

I would be really interested in having your views and happy to continue a discussion with you!

Cheers
Shan

Top Bottom