Long distance rides on folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, no, I wasn't being all "careful now". It just feels like a waste without being able @ fnaar (space left to hopefully not summon him).

I nearly went the other way and said something like "if it's small enough, you won't even realise it's in there" but restrained myself :smile:

No worries, it just reminded me of the Father Ted image :biggrin:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As far as folders intended for serious touring, there are Bike Fridays, Airnimals, and (not strictly folding) demountable Moultons.

But then, folk have successfully completed LEL on Bromptons—which doubtless proves something or other.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Personally, i wouldn't fancy going long distance on a bike with only 16 inch wheels. My folder has 20 inch wheels. I would go long distance on them. Then again, my bike is a 20 inch frame so is quite a bit bigger than say a brommy. That frame size would be much too big for me if it was say a hybrid but its fine for a folder.

Ridgeways

Regular
Personally, i wouldn't fancy going long distance on a bike with only 16 inch wheels.

For pure distance purposes the wheel size is simply not particularly significant. In terms of rolling resistance, it “feels” right that larger diameters would have less, but then again Moulton tried out numerous sizes in a quest to ‘scientifically’ discover the optimum wheel size, and came up with 17” as clear winner. However dubious I might be about the data, it sufficed to persuade Moulton to go for that unusual size [at presumably greater trouble and expense], and they were undoubtedly in my experience the best ride then obtainable.

In practical terms, the only drawback to small wheels is in soft sand, where without question they are a total liability. However it has to be acknowledged that even 27” wheels are going to bog down in the same conditions, unless using very fat soft tyres, so it is hardly much of a compromise.

Bodhbh

Guru
I missed this post, but I think I agree the cheapest way to go touring on a folding bike that I would recommend would be to use a Raleigh 20 (Stowaway), I commuted on one for a few years and it was great, I would be happy to take one touring. You could go on Ebay and get a one for 50 quid and do it up, the main upgrades needed would be a good service and some modern high pressure tyres. They are really solid bikes will support the weight of all the the touring kit, simple to maintain and I think you can split them at the hinge so can pack them down to a very small size if you have the time and the need.

You could tour on a stock R20 - like most bikes - but, to be fair, to get it up to a similar spec to a modern tourer you are looking at quite a project. I pretty much upgraded everthing bar the frame, and even with that I had to spread the rear triangle to fit a 135mm hub. Still, the caliper brakes are pretty pants - most noticable on that Welsh ride where a couple of the downhills were rather hairy - the brakes working just enough to stop acceleration rather than slow the bike down. And the range on 8 speed Nexus I upgraded too, still is not quite enough for touring imo. Still otherwise the bike is great allday ride.

I agree about the brakes, I replaced the original's with offset pivot brakes which are much better, but still hairy in the wet due to the steel rim's.

R_20.jpg
If I was going to tour I would put higher bars on it!!

StuartG

slower but further
Personally, i wouldn't fancy going long distance on a bike with only 16 inch wheels. My folder has 20 inch wheels. I would go long distance on them.
Having done long distance with three other Bromptons without issue as opposed to the one 20" which did develop tyre related issues - I would be interested in your reasoning.

The only serious issue I have had due to size is mountainous descents. The small rims do heat up dangerously. The ignominy was having to walk down a mountain I had cycled up!

[T'was in Welsh Wales too]

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Having done long distance with three other Bromptons without issue as opposed to the one 20" which did develop tyre related issues - I would be interested in your reasoning.

The only serious issue I have had due to size is mountainous descents. The small rims do heat up dangerously. The ignominy was having to walk down a mountain I had cycled up!

Exactly. Going downhill on very small wheels is scary, and as i live in the foothills of the cambrian mountains, and have experienced the downhill effect, i prefer to stay away from them. My folder has kenda 1.75 inch wheels. I have never had a problem with them, going uphill or downhill.:smile:

StuartG

slower but further
But if you don't have to brake its just as much fun as 700c. Indeed the faster you go the more stable it is. A disc Brommie would be a great solution.

Bodhbh

Guru

I forgot about that. The heating is a pita. I don't know how far to push it but don't really want to find out. I also ended up walking down hills.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've always found that if you sit pretty upright on a Brompton (other folders are available :biggrin:) you'll not go above 25-30 mph.
A few seconds of hard braking before the hairpin gets me down to a less-scary cornering speed without cooking the rims.
I've used this technique coming down Ventoux and the Col de Mort d'Imbert, both in Provence, and involving slopes of 4-12%
It's long periods of braking that heat the rims IME. I can also confirm that Bromptons are surprisingly stable at 40 mph. Well, I had to try it. A racing crouch on a Brommie looks bloody stupid!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've always found that if you sit pretty upright on a Brompton (other folders are available :biggrin:) you'll not go above 25-30 mph.
A few seconds of hard braking before the hairpin gets me down to a less-scary cornering speed without cooking the rims.
I've used this technique coming down Ventoux and the Col de Mort d'Imbert, both in Provence, and involving slopes of 4-12%
It's long periods of braking that heat the rims IME. I can also confirm that Bromptons are surprisingly stable at 40 mph. Well, I had to try it. A racing crouch on a Brommie looks bloody stupid!
Concur with that^^^^

Brommyboy

Über Member
Last year rode the NC500, carrying camping gear aboard my Brommy, averaging 50 miles per day, longest day 83 miles with about 2100m of altitude gain. Incidentally the highest speed I have recorded on a descent, on several occasions, has been 39 mph, which is only scary if the road surface is rough!

Top Bottom