Long drop brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevekerouac

Maybe not the best forum for this but I'm in need of some road cali's for a racer, long (57mm) drop.

Its coming down to a choice between the new R450's at about £35 and the discontinued A550's on ebay (new) for £32.

To my eye the old A550's look better made but I don't know about weight etc.

What do you reckon?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I would have thought the 550s were a level above 450s. I'm sure I have the older 550s on the Audax bike, although I can't see any indentification marks on them.

I've never had any problems with them as brakes and certainly haven't found them in anywhere inferior to standard drop brakes. Pays your money and takes your choice!

OP
OP
S

stevekerouac

You think the tektro's are better than the 550's? They do have re-fillable shoes I spose. They're only £27 here

Also seen some Fixie's with Miche brakes but the black won't go with my 80's white paintjob

Chris James

Über Member
I haven't used the A550s. Several reviews seem to reckon the Tektros are of Ultegra quality. I would have thought they were at least as good as the A550s and look better than the R450s.

They seem to be a bit lighter than the A550s and better finished. The pads are so so, but can be changed easily enough. I am sure that either brake would be fine though.

GrahamG

Guru
Not sure what my tektro is on the front but it looks like crap after just a years use with the metal plating peeling off, rusting bolts and the like.

Edit - I should add that the A550's I've had on the road bike for a couple of years are still mint.

Chris James

Über Member
Tektro 521AGs are polished aluminium and mine look pristine after 18 months use, including lots of winter miles in heavily gritted West Yorkshire.

k-dog

^ yeah, but they're £40 each!

Top Bottom