Longish commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big T

Guru
I cycled from Nottingham to a conference in Market Bosworth near Leicester. People were astounded that I could cycle so far (40 miles), so fast (3 hours). They had a travel survey of delegates but had to invent a new category for me as they didn't expect anyone to cycle there.

The organisation I work for are very keen on cutting their carbon footprint, but most people seem to think that car sharing and driving greener cars is enough.

domtyler

Über Member
Good for you Big T! :rolleyes:

As a bonus, I bet you got plenty of space to yourself in the lecture theatre too! :tongue:

OP
OP
Big T

Big T

Guru
Had a shower when I got there!

One of the items being discussed was Sustainability - how can we reduce our carbon footprint. I suggested having a pool of folding bikes at each office so that we can bike-train-bike instead of driving, but I'll wait to see if it happens.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Excellent, I have know colleges take their bike on the train and ride home after meetings, your first I have know to cycle that distance to a meeting. Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

Big T said:
Had a shower when I got there!

One of the items being discussed was Sustainability - how can we reduce our carbon footprint. I suggested having a pool of folding bikes at each office so that we can bike-train-bike instead of driving, but I'll wait to see if it happens.

Did they fall off of their seats laughing?

I suggested to a friend that it would be easier for herto cycle from Ealing to Shepherds Bush (2 - 3 miles I reckon) rather than trying to find a parking space everyday. Everybody in the room laughed like I was being ridiculous.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well done - I'm impressed, its easy to talk about reducing your carbon footprint, but many wouldn't go that far:smile:.

paul

Well done Big T. Did the same myself yesterday. Went on a course which was at a local venue (20 miles) starting at 8.30am, cycled there. (and back at the end of the course) Regulary commute by bike to work anyway. 3 days a week. Course opened with registration forms, so filled in transport questionaire name etc. came to type of car and car reg column, so entered cycle and make, total distance travelled for mileage 40. Looking down the list later, I had travelled the furthest distance of all course members, (lowest car mileage was 2 miles) I just can't wait to fill in the expense claims form that will subsequently come, with the box for the cc of vehicle (as the payment per mile goes on cc of car) I know it will start a whole new correspondence for the computer operator who receives the final form and will not have a category for such an entry, to pay into salary. Still, opens up new opportunity for the course organisers. I await possible expenses paid!!!! Anyone suggest a reasonable cc number for a road bike?

bonj2

paul said:
Well done Big T. Did the same myself yesterday. Went on a course which was at a local venue (20 miles) starting at 8.30am, cycled there. (and back at the end of the course) Regulary commute by bike to work anyway. 3 days a week. Course opened with registration forms, so filled in transport questionaire name etc. came to type of car and car reg column, so entered cycle and make, total distance travelled for mileage 40. Looking down the list later, I had travelled the furthest distance of all course members, (lowest car mileage was 2 miles) I just can't wait to fill in the expense claims form that will subsequently come, with the box for the cc of vehicle (as the payment per mile goes on cc of car) I know it will start a whole new correspondence for the computer operator who receives the final form and will not have a category for such an entry, to pay into salary. Still, opens up new opportunity for the course organisers. I await possible expenses paid!!!! Anyone suggest a reasonable cc number for a road bike?

simoncc's your man.

OP
OP
Big T

Big T

Guru
Putting my mileage claim in today - 80 miles at 20p per mile = £16.

Folding bikes suggestion got quite a good reception, but we'll wait to see if management come up with the money to buy them (i.e. put their money where their mouth is).

I've got a meeting in Crewe in June. That's about 65 miles each way. I'm just wondering if I could do that???

I have cycled to Stone in Staffs before, but that was for a week long course, not there and back in a day.

iacula

Fantastic work, you're an example to us all. The "final" solution for me would be to sell my car, this would make sure I used the bike!

Top Bottom