Look what i just ordered...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
But BTFB, one of the things about cycle touring is that you can ditch the curse of the modern world which is to be constantly in touch with it. I get by with a mobile (never switched on and only their for emergency use) and a tiny radio, mainly for use as an alarm but also to catch up with news headlines if I can be bothered.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

true enuff...and mostly when I am riding with somebody that will be th ecase. However there is a strong possibility that I might actually ride a lot longer after my riding partner has to head home, so i will be alone for long times. Last time I did that i told myself that a few mod cons would help on th eboring cold nights in th etent...so thats the plan.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
BTFB,

are you sure you've got the spirit of cycle touring sorted out?

You do your 100 km for the day. You go to the pub/restaurant and overconsume. You go to the tent and collapse into an instant deep and dreamless so as to be ready for the next day. Definitely low tech.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Andy in Sig said:
BTFB,

are you sure you've got the spirit of cycle touring sorted out?

You do your 100 km for the day. You go to the pub/restaurant and overconsume. You go to the tent and collapse into an instant deep and dreamless so as to be ready for the next day. Definitely low tech.

My day would end with a something that I'd cooked preceded by a large mug of tea and followed by a generous ration of local wine while listening to the BBC World Service or Radio Four depending upon where I was. I used my phone to update my wife on my progress then switched it off again. I've never felt the need for an electronically delivered moving image on tour. The local population and fauna provided that free of charge (sic).

Can't wait until 19th July when I have a relaxed weekend on the East coast followed by a week's worth of UK based cycle touring before I jet off to Crete for a fortnight and return for another week's cycle touring.

just jim

I would have thought that the kind of spirit one brings on a tour in entirely up to the individual. I went for a little flask of Glenmorangie last time. Breakfast of Champions!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well it just arrived and is charging as I type. It looks pretty cool. I found the connections for my phone and ipod ok...and to charge from a pc as well as the sun, but guess what..it doesnt like my portable tv..erm...which was the main reason for buying the dam thing...oh well...c'set la guerre

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
well it just arrived and is charging as I type. It looks pretty cool. I found the connections for my phone and ipod ok...and to charge from a pc as well as the sun, but guess what..it doesnt like my portable tv..erm...which was the main reason for buying the dam thing...oh well...c'set la guerre

You could buy a PSP to use instead of your TV.....:becool:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..well actually, since posting I have managed to get it working ok! The connector just needed some..erm...not so gentle ...'persuasion' and suddenly it fitted.:becool:
I just charged up the TV, my ipod shuffle and my phone...and it's in my fav emerald green colour which should clash nicely with my bright orange panniers!

goo_stewart

It looks interesting, can it charge laptops? I never have trouble charging phones and iPods in South East Asia, laptops/Mac Books would be a good thing to charge.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I dont think it can but I may be wrong. It all depends on the voltage range I believe. The website gives a rundown on what can and cannot be charged.

Magna

I like the moving image on my camping trips too. Used to use the psp for movies but now I have a Bayliss Eco Media player; I intend to download some videos onto it and it also has an fm radio player and can charge a phone!

Top Bottom