Looking for an ebike for £2500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sanadsaad

Hi all! I am looking to buy an ebike mainly for commuting but also, once I’m a bit more comfortable with it, riding trails in Sheffield. The budget I have is £2500. I looked at a few bikes from cube but without being able to test ride any, I thought I’d ask for your advice and any recommendations.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have no experience of riding an ebike but know people who ride models from Orbea and Ribble. Both seem very happy with performance. At a casual glance the Ribble looks to be a copy of the Orbea.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There are broadly two types of legal ebikes in this price range.

Lighter, less powerful bikes such as the Orbea/Ribble with the Ebikemotion hub motor, and heavier more powerful bikes, usually with the Bosch crank drive motor which most of the Cubes you've seen use.

Another light assist system is the Fazua crank drive, which is fitted to Boardmans and others.

Yet another possibility is the Halford's Carrera hub drive bike, which is similar in power to a Bosch bike, but much cheaper at around £1,000.

Sheffield is known to be hilly, which would point towards a Bosch/Carrera bike.

However, much will depend on your weight, how much grunt you can contribute, and how far you want to go.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you live up one of the big hills in Sheffield, like Loxley then get the most powerful system.

You could go with a pre manufactured bike with a Bosch/Brose/Yamaha crank drive or look at aftermarket kits like Bafang BBSHD or TSDZ2. You can specify which battery, voltage and capacity.

If you own a standard threaded bottom bracket bike upgrade will be around £750-1000

You need to be practical or know anyone with those skills- its not difficult

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

Thanks for the helpful tips! I am currently riding a Canyon roadlite 8 AL 2017 edition which is a pretty sweet ride but I’m finding tackling the steep hills quite difficult. There are two very steep roads on my way to the university of Sheffield which fill me with dread when thinking of commuting to work! I spoke to the people at JEJames (local shop) and they suggested the cube reaction hybrid pro 625. That fits the budget, has a strong Bosch cx4 motor, sram eagle groupset but I’m not sure how good it will be off road.

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

If you live up one of the big hills in Sheffield, like Loxley then get the most powerful system.

You could go with a pre manufactured bike with a Bosch/Brose/Yamaha crank drive or look at aftermarket kits like Bafang BBSHD or TSDZ2. You can specify which battery, voltage and capacity.

If you own a standard threaded bottom bracket bike upgrade will be around £750-1000

You need to be practical or know anyone with those skills- its not difficult
I don’t mind DIY’ng. Can a bafang motor fit mid drive on the canyon? That might be the cheapest option to try.

CXRAndy

Guru
All I know is it’s a pressfit 86 bracket. I’ll take a look when I get home.

If the bottom bracket width is 68/73mm wide and has an internal diameter of >33.5mm then there is a good chance it will fit.

This website has good information to help decide which Bafang motor size is likely suitable
https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blo...bracket-standards-and-bafang-mid-drive-motors

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

If the bottom bracket width is 68/73mm wide and has an internal diameter of >33.5mm then there is a good chance it will fit.

This website has good information to help decide which Bafang motor size is likely suitable
https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blo...bracket-standards-and-bafang-mid-drive-motors
Thats what it looks like. Will get some measurements once I find my measuring tape. Need to give the bike a clean and lube the chain. Going to the local shop to check out the cube reaction hybrid. If I buy the ebike, might just sell this one.

OP
OP
S

sanadsaad

CXRAndy

Guru
Thats what it looks like. Will get some measurements once I find my measuring tape. Need to give the bike a clean and lube the chain. Going to the local shop to check out the cube reaction hybrid. If I buy the ebike, might just sell this one.

The frame width is larger than a standard threaded bottom bracket. That doesn't mean much because threaded bottom bracket have external bearings.

BB86 widths start at 89.5mm and go up depending on frame and use (Road/MTB)

The internal diameter is 41mm so there ample space, this will need to be sleeved/spacer.

Revisit the Bafang website to get the correct motor information for your bikes bottom bracket width.

Here is some more info on BB86 specifications

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb86-92-tech

Ralphbostie

Hi all! I am looking to buy an ebike mainly for commuting but also, once I’m a bit more comfortable with it, riding trails in Sheffield. The budget I have is £2500. I looked at a few bikes from cube but without being able to test ride any, I thought I’d ask for your advice and any recommendations.
Hi I’ve got the Boardman HYB EBike and I’ve found hills no problem, I live in Chesterfield and also do the Trans Pennine trail out towards Sheffield. If your a member of British Cycling you get 10% off at Halfords so you would get the bike for £2000 instead of £2199 and it only costs you £25 to join British cycling.

Mrs M

Guru
Thanks for the helpful tips! I am currently riding a Canyon roadlite 8 AL 2017 edition which is a pretty sweet ride but I’m finding tackling the steep hills quite difficult. There are two very steep roads on my way to the university of Sheffield which fill me with dread when thinking of commuting to work! I spoke to the people at JEJames (local shop) and they suggested the cube reaction hybrid pro 625. That fits the budget, has a strong Bosch cx4 motor, sram eagle groupset but I’m not sure how good it will be off road.
Mr M has the Cube Reaction hybrid pro 625.
Not bad off road and very good on the road too.

Top Bottom