Looking for Degreaser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silbchris

Hey guys,

I've just properly got into cycling! Kind of random, but does anyone know of any degreaser that will properly get rid of chain oil? Something when you use it, it doesn't fill the garage with fumes or take off paintwork from the bike.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
White spirit.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to use Jizer. About £15 for five litres. I recently bought some of the Screwfix stuff mentioned by @roadrash and it's perfectly good. I've used both in my ultrasonic bath with excellent results but I can't comment on the Elf and Safety aspect.

CXRAndy

Guru
I use gunk for complete degreaser, or brake cleaner on a rag to wipe grease/oil from a small surface

Both can come in 5 ltrs from motor factors

Skanker

I use sugar soap for removing grease, get the concentrated version and then you can dilute it depending on the purpose.
Look online and decide before you go to toolstation or screwfix though as they both have about 15 different products for that task, or you’ll be there for hours trying to choose one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hey guys,

I've just properly got into cycling! Kind of random, but does anyone know of any degreaser that will properly get rid of chain oil? Something when you use it, it doesn't fill the garage with fumes or take off paintwork from the bike.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers,
Chris

I use Bikehut citrus degreaser from Halfords. Works very well and smells good! £9.99 for 1 litre. It doesn't appear to contain any nasty chemicals. I've used it successfully in any number of household situations to remove stains I've struggled to shift with other products.

Once you have your chain and entire drive chain clean keep it that way. Cleaning the chain by wiping thoroughly with an oily rag after every ride will remove much of the debris that builds up. This takes at worst five minutes. When you lube use minimal amounts of a dry lube directly on to each roller. Wipe off any excess. Following this regime will significantly reduce how often you need to decrease, extend chain life, give you a smoother ride and save time.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've used a number of degreasers over the years and they've all had one thing in common. They're crap.
As @Drago said, white spirit. Soak the chain in it for a couple hours giving it a good shake once in a while to get the main muck off, then wash it with plain water. After that, a drop of oil on each roller and wipe off the excess. After that, just wipe it once in a while with an oily rag as above and it'll stay nicer for longer.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I like Fenwicks, because it smells nice.

However, having been a previous owner of a 1.8 16v Vauxhall Zafira - I find myself with a lot of carburetor cleaner in the shed

This stuff is brilliant and even brought back an old set of Avid brake rotors from the grave

Just make sure you wash it off thoroughly though and be mindful of the environment

Oh, and watch your paintwork

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Screw Fix stuff is incredible value. A cap full is all you need. It's worked fantastically on my engine bay (gleaming) and it's also good for bathroom and kitchen cleaning - there isn't anything nasty in it.

Carb cleaner is like brake cleaner - pretty sure it's the same stuff.

Top Bottom