Loose handlebars - loctite or replace stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Morning all

I'm a bit of a maintenance newbie so would appreciate some advice about how to stop my handlebar working loose.

I commute on a Fuji Thrill mountain bike with a riser handlebar. Over the last couple of weeks on my commute I have found that my handlebar has worked loose from the stem whilst riding. My commute isn't too long (c. 11 miles round trip) but it has occurred 3 or 4 times over the last couple of weeks. Each time I have stopped and tightened the bolts on the stem clamping the handlebar and carried on.

It happened again this morning so thought I would ride round to my LBS to see what he said. The chap there took what, in my opinion (although i know my knowledge is low), appeared to be a very cursory look and said that I would need a new stem and new handlebar at an estimated cost of about £75. When I got to work and chatted to a (biking) colleague he suggested that was a bit excessive and said I should just stick on a dab of loctite on the bolts which should stop it from working loose.

Any thoughts as to whether loctite would be worth a try or not? If so, which to use? Looking through past threads on here it looks like 243 (blue) is the popular suggestion, but did come across suggestions for both 290 (green) and 222 (lower strength).

It took my by surprise a little bit that that the LBS suggested I needed a whole new stem and bar, so I'm just trying to work out whether I actually need that or not. I appreciate none of you can see my bike first hand, but would appreciate some second opinions on the above or any other suggestions as to what to do.

Cheers all.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The stem bolts are usually sold with a threadlock type substance on the threads to stop this.

I roughen up the contact area between bar/stem as well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are the bolts loose, or have you overtightened the bolts ? If overtightened, you possibly have mis-shaped the bars and keep tightening it will make it worse. If just coming loose, then threadlock, although I've never needed to use the stuff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, take the cap off, remove the bars and examine the contact area very carefully. If there's any sign of distortion throw the bars away. Really.

When the bolts are tight, has the clamp still got room to close or is it nipped up solid? If so you could think about shimming the bars; the simple way would be to cut a piece out of an aluminium drink can, which is the perfect shimming material being soft and corrosion-proof as well as coming pre-curled. However you'd need to be sure that everything else was in perfect condition before resorting to this.

W
A
R
R
A
N
T
Y
?

OP
OP
kalaika

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
The bike is at least ten years old - I'd love to put in a claim but I think the chances of it still being under warranty are reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally slim! :thumbsup:

I've taken the bars off today and can't see any damage to the bars or the clamp so I think I'll give the Loctite a whirl and see how it gets on.

Cheers

Top Bottom