Loose Weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charlottebainb

I'm a new rider who cycles to firm my legs, lose weight, and stay healthy. I ride 15 to 20 miles on 4 or 5 days per week. To reach my
goals, should I be riding for speed or distance? And should I be cycling every day?

Garz

Squat Member
Cycle as much as your body allows without it crying for a rest day, when it does - rest! Concentrate on distances first, then aim to improve speed. If yo can get out more than three times per week then you can maintain good fitness levels. Most of all enjoy your rides, try to take in the scenery!

jimboalee

It's a 'Chicken and egg' situation.

Distance doesn't get easy until blood transportation is improved ( capillarisation for stamina ).
Blood transport doesn't improve until the muscles are strained and straining the muscle is done by riding distances with some hills thrown in.

What are your goals?

jimboalee

Want to lose fat?

Here's a big clue.

It was 6 Celsius this morning with a 10 mph side wind. I was wearing a long sleeve jersey and shorts.

The energy breakdown of my 14 mile ride was :-

Tractive motion – 1.7 kcals/min
Windchill on bare skin – 1.6 kcals/min
Thermoconductivity through damp lycra – 3.8 kcals/min
Evaporation of sweat – 0.3 kcals/min

Est Total inc BMR = 8.6 kcals/min

If I was to wrap up in thick coats and leggings, with thick gloves and oversoes, I wouldn't be shifting the 5.2 kcals/min through windchill and Thermoconductivity of damp lycra, I'd be shifting less than 1 kcals/min through the thick clothing, effectively HALVING my calorific expenditure and therefore HALVING my eventual fat loss.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I' say that she was quite specific about her goals ;)

Anyways, continuing what you are already doing is helping significantly.
You have plenty of time, because after 6 months you may be at your 'goal' but you are not going to suddenly stop and return to how things were are you?
You have years and years and years to go...

the huge + is that you NOt seeing the money being pissed down the drain if you are sucked into consuming 1 of those annoying pots of crud a day @ 25 p or whatever they cost EVERY SINGLE DAY of your remaining life in order to satisfy some clever marketing scam who is enjoying the sunshine of Barbados at your expense.... rack up that cost.

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
I was to wrap up in thick coats and leggings, with thick gloves and oversoes, I wouldn't be shifting the 5.2 kcals/min through windchill and Thermoconductivity of damp lycra,
"Shock Horror!. West Midlands Police mystified by sudden increase in nude cycling"

Crankarm

Guru
charlottebainb said:
I'm a new rider who cycles to firm my legs, lose weight, and stay healthy. I ride 15 to 20 miles on 4 or 5 days per week. To reach my
goals, should I be riding for speed or distance? And should I be cycling every day?

Lose weight, one o, not two os as in loose. You need to lose a whole o.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you are comfortable at 20 miles several times a week - you are already doing well. You might want to mix things up a bit for variety, say do a long gentle paced ride at the weekend - 30 or 40 miles maybe, or even longer if time permits, and one ride a week keep the mileage right down but focus on speed, or hills, or interval training.

jimboalee

ASC1951 said:
"Shock Horror!. West Midlands Police mystified by sudden increase in nude cycling"

When there's frost on the ground, we wear bathing costumes.

OP, Don't wrap up too much. You will only sweat, and that is replaced the next time you have a drink.
Shivver the fat off ;) The weather is turning to OUR advantage now.

Weegie

jimboalee said:

Jimbo, how in the halibut do you work this stuff out? I have pictures in my head of you riding around looking like a weather research station. Don't your pens & calculators keep falling out your pockets?

Garz

Squat Member
Jim id prefer you displayed the figures in joules and dont miss off the humidity levels next time! ;)

Matty

jimboalee said:
Want to lose fat?

Here's a big clue.

It was 6 Celsius this morning with a 10 mph side wind. I was wearing a long sleeve jersey and shorts.

If I was to wrap up in thick coats and leggings, with thick gloves and oversoes, I wouldn't be shifting the 5.2 kcals/min through windchill and Thermoconductivity of damp lycra, I'd be shifting less than 1 kcals/min through the thick clothing, effectively HALVING my calorific expenditure and therefore HALVING my eventual fat loss.

crumbs, what a reply for newbie!

dodgy

Crankarm said:
Lose weight, one o, not two os as in loose. You need to lose a whole o.

That is so patronising, and no way to welcome a newcomer to the forum. I don't tend to get upset over spelling unless it makes the post unreadable without considerable effort. You could have just PM'd that correction instead of posting it for all to see.

Matty

Here's my simplistic view .....

If you cycle as much as you say, and do not *reward* yourself by eating more than you did before you cycled, then you will lose weight.

Matt

Garz

Squat Member
Matty said:
Here's my simplistic view .....

If you cycle as much as you say, and do not *reward* yourself by eating more than you did before you cycled, then you will lose weight.

Matt

This is fine as a general rule however it is not completely successful in a healthy way. For example studies have claimed that eating smaller meals more often and not starving yourself hungry are better for you.

Also if you ride more frequently and are pushing the body harder then I find replenishing the lost nutrients with decent food also helps you recover faster, meaning another ride can be done the next day with just as much effort instead of being tired.

I would use Matts method on the days of no exercise, but always eat well leading upto the ride so you have sufficient energy.

Top Bottom