Lorry with build in table kills cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
This not in any way a comment on the doctor's death, just one on your post above.
Here's a driver who reacted pretty well to sudden circumstances. Some will say that he should have anticipated the event because there was a school bus ahead. My personal opinion is that we should take a tiny bit of responsibility for our own safety on the road and not delegate it to others because of a sense of righteousness, whether as a pedestrian , cyclist, or even car driver. If you do, you might get avoidably hurt.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44L-SOI1I8[/media]

Good point, well made.

However, the example cited in the video also shows a lorry driver not driving at a speed appropriate to his lack of view through a solid bus, so perhaps not the best.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This not in any way a comment on the doctor's death, just one on your post above.
Here's a driver who reacted pretty well to sudden circumstances. Some will say that he should have anticipated the event because there was a school bus ahead. My personal opinion is that we should take a tiny bit of responsibility for our own safety on the road and not delegate it to others because of a sense of righteousness, whether as a pedestrian , cyclist, or even car driver. If you do, you might get avoidably hurt.
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44L-SOI1I8[/media]

It's just as well his reactions and control are good, as he's driving too fast. Had he been going half the speed, the video would be altogether less hair-raising. As you say, it's not rocket science to anticipate children near a stopped school bus. And no, I don't think schoolchildren are responsible for preventing lorry drivers running them over. I think we have a collective responsibility not to kill them with heavy machinery, and that that responsibility is absolute.

Reactions: mjr

Skanker

In the US most states have a 'stop law' that requires traffic behind and in front to stop when a school bus is dropping off passengers. They are not all bad.
That’s a superb law!
We could do with that in the uk as children are injured/killed outside schools way too often, even with the slow driving speed limits we have in place currently.

Drago

Legendary Member
Death by Careless is a travesty. Even if you're driving sensibly it can still be Dangerous Driving simply because your vehicle is in a poor or inappropriate state.

BTW, he's a bit of a mess considering he's the same age as me. Is that what driving a lorry does to you?

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
You make a choice to drive a vehicle with an illegal modification and in such a way that kill's someone and some how that's just being careless. Oh came on it's total madness dropping crumbs all over the carpet after you've just cleaned up is careless. This is a human life we are talking about.

Unfortunately its not illegal to sell illegal add on's to vehicles.

Rings true.

Years ago (this was before the compact mobile age) at a trade exhibition I came across a company selling a full size computer keyboard (nice moving clicking keys as well) built into a steering wheel.

"Isn't it dangerous?" I asked the proud distributor.

Not at all he reckoned.

I never figured out why you would want such a thing.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
update ....

This just get's worse now it come's out the company knew that it was removed to pass MOT's then put back.
Plead guilty to failing in duty under HandS fined £112,500 and £3,000 in costs.
It's a joke 1st the driver showed in court he can't give a fig now this.

https://road.cc/content/news/269329...d-dashboard-tray-table-jailed-killing-cyclist

Look in comments and you see what he thought was ok to driving round with.

Smudge

Veteran
Amazing that he thought it was ok to have all that crap obstructing the screen. I see he has an in cab airline suzie as well, i thought that was an 80's/90's thing to have one of those to blow the dust off your dash.

Smudge

Veteran
The other thing is he's more than likely not the only one who thinks it's ok either.

Definitely not. In fact i've seen even more windscreen tassels than that on truck screens, plus windscreen flags & banners stuck on with suckers.

lane

Veteran
Side curtains pulled partly obscuring windows often with the aim of stopping police see in. At this time if year Xmas decorations.

Smudge

Veteran
I never had any of that crap obscuring my windscreen when i was trucking, too distracting.
I had enough to do when driving a wagon, like being on the phone, tuning the radio or putting CD's in, pouring tea out of my flask, being on the CB, reading maps, eating sandwiches crisps and Yorkie bars. Also trying to spot good looking women in other vehicles. Plus reading the many dials and gauges on my dash, half of which i didn't even understand.
Its not an easy life being a professional LGV driver.

Slick

Guru
I did a bit in an LGV in relation to another job in another life and I would be too embarrassed by the things I used to do and believe were right whilst in control of one of those things. I was lucky to escape without incident but I know what goes on and give them a wide berth.

Top Bottom