Lost my cycling mojo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

Not really a newbie, but after some advice, returned to cycling late 2007, and completed my first metric 100 in July 2009, lost about a stone in weight and was enjoying myself. However since October-ish I can't seem to find any enthusiasm for going out for a ride. Some of this is the weather, presure of work and an illness in the family I know but now I should be looking forwards to going out and I'm not. Horror! I am not even contemplating any new kit or accessories. I am not yet confident (or quick) enough to join a club but think that the solitary cycling may be a root cause

Have I fallen out of love with Cycling? Any suggestions to mend my troubled relationship with un velo would be appreciated.

ChrisKH

Guru
Joint the queue.

I know when the weather improves I will be more motivated, but I lack the time and get up and go to really do anything (on my own) at the moment, apart from commuting.

Not much help I know. Just wanted to empathise really.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling with a companion really does make a difference; it's also harder to cancel a ride when somebody else is involved! Why not advertise for a riding companion or ask a couple of local clubs.

PK99

Legendary Member
Chiefwiggum said:
I am not yet confident (or quick) enough to join a club but think that the solitary cycling may be a root cause

Have I fallen out of love with Cycling? Any suggestions to mend my troubled relationship with un velo would be appreciated.

You are quick enough to join a club - so long as you find the right one. Look for one that has a range of rides : Training Group, Club Run, Social Ride.

Our club for instance has :

Sportive training: Saturday, 50-80 hilly miles in the Surrey hills 16mph average

Saturday: Social ride - speed of the slowest all welcome: 30 miles

Sunday club run - 40-50 miles 14mph typical average

Another local club does not have conventional club runs at all, but runs regular midwek time trials spring to autumn and social rides every Saturday. Out at 10 back for 1, 25 miles two groups to the sam point on on th road on off road.

Another not far away has A/B/C groups out every Saturday and midweek high speed chain gangs.

Get in touch with a local club, ask advice. You will find most will be happy to point you in the right direction to another club if thay cannot match what you want

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Why beat yourself up about something like this?
You are not alone in not wanting to ride in winter, cold, cold , wet, etc etc
low side on black ice... hurt hip
top of head pain from cold despite covering up like a nanook
more wet and cold and sleet in eyeballs torture
constantly trying to keep bike clean running order... trying to rid hands and nails of dirt and oil...
it is a gift not to have to use your bike until......
fill in your own words now

You obviously want to get going again, which must add to the frustration.

What about something new? A new route which ends with a nice meal/pub? A new piece of clothing which keeps the weather at bay? Top of the range energy bar? Borrow a mountain bike and try something muddy?

This is a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions... we need you to get back on that bike.

Good luck!

I am Spartacus said:
Why beat yourself up about something like this?
You are not alone in not wanting to ride in winter, cold, cold , wet, etc etc
low side on black ice... hurt hip
top of head pain from cold despite covering up like a nanook
more wet and cold and sleet in eyeballs torture
constantly trying to keep bike clean running order... trying to rid hands and nails of dirt and oil...
it is a gift not to have to use your bike until......
fill in your own words now

+1. This is what I haven't missed at all these last few weeks - plus we don't have a cosy garage for me to do it in. Spending 45 minutes sorting the bike and my bike clothing out each night, especially when it's been so wet, is something I have not missed one second of. Enough to make anyone lose their enthusiasm!

I find when there's enough else going on in my life, I can do without the bad aspects of cycling taking up more time. To the OP - wait on the weather improving a bit, and don't worry over it.

As has been said most clubs have a slower run mine has a ''social'' run on Saturday and Sunday. Just start out by doing 10 or 15 miles and build yourself back up again once you get going it wont take you long to get more motivation.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some new kit (even just bar tape or new end plugs....) and get out there. Rain and wind tomorrow, but Sunday is supposed to be better....

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
don't worry about it, i cycle because i like cycling. i haven't set any mileage targets or hours per week targets.

if i want to ride i ride, if i don't i don't and sometimes i really don't :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hope it comes back. I'm not sure group rides are the answer, I've always done a lot of solo stuff and I go through periods of being very disillusioned with group rides and others loving it.

PK99

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Hope it comes back. I'm not sure group rides are the answer, I've always done a lot of solo stuff and I go through periods of being very disillusioned with group rides and others loving it.

mix and match:

When the solo stuff becomes a grind, go with the group.

When the hassle of group riding gets on your tits, go solo.

Have a set of different groups to ride with

I am sure it will come back, now the rain is here I can't wait for the morning, no ice, snow, child or her mother - a day for me! Been a long while coming and the cold and ice really made me doubtful, but nonetheless I am feeling very positive about a ride tomorrow - it'll shake the cobwebs out and give me a chance to see some friends I would not normally see.

Sun shining and a bit of spare time will sort you out...maybe sunday!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
PK99 said:
mix and match:

When the solo stuff becomes a grind, go with the group.

When the hassle of group riding gets on your tits, go solo.

Have a set of different groups to ride with

I do have two, well three different groups of people to ride with. I don't really agree with your rather warm words about clubs though, there are plenty of people out there who are far too slow for clubs, 14mph fcol.

Top Bottom