lost my Mojo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
Can anyone help me to get back in the mood to cycle?

I am new to old-lady cycling (I'm nearly 43!) and have gone from rushing home from work to get in a ride before tea, to getting out the ironing rather than my beloved Trek. I know that I'll enjoy it once I get out, but I can't seem to motivate myself.

I don't think it helps that any direction from home has a hill and I am a lazy person at heart! I could take the bike to the towpath but that entails swapping cars with hubby (he has said that he would gladly do this to encourage my cycling, him being a keen rider).

it's just a case of making the effort but I feel so "meh" to quote my 17 year old son!

Chamfus Flange

I had a great ride this afternoon. Really did not want to go at all, but forced myself. I'm glad I did; warm(ish), traffic quiet (accident on A3), blow the cobwebs out as I've not been out for a while.

Go on give it a go!

colinr

I find the bathroom scales are a great incentiviser (not sure that's a word) for me. And there's this really nice spot about halfway through one of my regular routes. Maybe you can find an end, to which cycling is the means, to start the ball rolling?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As another West Yorkshire resident surrounded by hills, I know what you mean! I do have valley roads to ride on if I want to avoid the hills. but they are too busy a lot of the time.

The best thing I did was to find a local riding partner. He used to come round and encourage me to go out when I wasn't really feeling that keen. Unfortunately, he emigrated a few years ago and then I was back to square one.

After that, I decided that I'd get to know a few people off various cycling forums and ride with them. It's why I organise this kind of thing. That keeps me in riding partners for my longer/harder rides, but I still miss the company sometimes when I just want to nip out for a couple of hours.

Since your husband is a keen cyclist, couldn't you persuade him to ride with you a couple of times a week?

Another suggestion - check out what your local CTC group is like. I don't know what part of West Yorkshire you are from, but Halifax CTC and Huddersfield CTC would be well worth contacting if you are nearby.

PS 43 isn't old - I'm 53 and there are often riders on some of the events that I do who are well into their 70s and much fitter than me!

rh100

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I don't want to go - but when I do I enjoy it. I think it's more difficult now the nights are dark, as we started by going to the park on the evening, but now the only weekday riding I do is the commute. Do you have somewhere to ride to? To make a purpose to the trip rather than just for the sake of being on the bike. It does help if somebody else is coming along aswell, head for a pub or go shopping on it maybe.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
I have to say that these ideas a very encouraging. I find that if I put my kit I am "in the mood" so to speak. I really need to give myself a metaphorical kick up the bum to get out of the door!

My hubby cycles with me sometimes, but he does a long run on Sunday with his buddy and I couldn't keep up with them, and on other occasions he commutes by bike. He is very encouraging - but wouldn't dare give me the kick in the pants!!

I looked at local cycling groups, I think my nearest goes out from Keighley, but even their easy ride out looks like a challenge for me, plus I'm on a hybrid and I think I'd probably need a road bike to attempt to keep up. Maybe Santa will be looking at a 2-wheeled pressie for me.

I think that I will go to the gym today and make a date with the bike for tomorrow when the forcast is for this wind to have died down a little, hopefully! I'll get my kit on first thing so that if I try to go shopping or start cleaning the house I'll look silly and be way too warm.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Brahan

Über Member
Sorry, you're past it. Sell the bike, spend all the profits on buying expensive homley gadgets, pimp your ironing board and spend the rest of your days chasing the dream of domestic bliss.

Or you could get your 17 year old to do the ironing while you take a blast on your bike. Do it today, not tomorrow, if you have time for the gym you have more time for the bike.

jimboalee

Every trip must have an objective.

An initial idea.

Look on 'streetmap.co.uk' at the 100,000 scale map around where you live.

You will notice the blue OS grid is at 10km spacings.
Your mission, if you....blah, blah, is to visit the corners of the 10km blue OS grid around your home.

If you live on the coast, go to 2/ below..

It should be around 50 km +/- 20km. ;)

2/ Next, when you've done that, visit the two far corners of the grid box to your west, or east if you are on the west coast. Y'get the idea.
Then north, and then south.

When you've done these, you should be able to do a AUK DIY 100km.

Medals and badges for the winning.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ironing vs Cycling.....yup...you've lost it...time to check into the Priory !

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
"hello, Priory? Yes I have a problem, I have a lovely shiny bike in the garage which I enjoy riding but somehow I find myself ironing, not pedaling, can you help?!" Send the men in white coats!

I will have to study Jimoalee's idea with a cup of tea in my hand, it sounds like a plan.

I have been to the gym today and I have stated on here to all you non-judgemental people (!) that I will be out there on my bike tomorrow. Now, for this afternoon's activities I like the idea of pimping my ironing board, where did I put my debazzeller..?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another suggestion - start a thread with a title like Novice female cycling partner wanted - Keighley/Bingley/Silsden*** area. With a bit of luck, there will be somebody suitable not too far from you.

*** wherever it is that you want to meet up

I was sent a PM by goodspeed when he joined the forum early this year. He lives in Oxenhope (that's roughly halfway between where I live and and where BearPear lives, folks). I've been cycling with him fairly regularly ever since.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
actually I have a riding partner lined up, but she has this crazy idea that I'm a better rider than she is so is reluctant to go out together! She did an amazing charity ride to Germany last year and is doing it again next year so has to start training again. I have offered to keep her company and we both admit that we need the motivation, but it's just not happened yet.

I need to nag her a bit, in the nicest possible way, of course!

Oxenhope - now there's a hilly village, especially coming over from where you are Colin (but that road over the tops is totally awesome, it's breathtaking, especially on a bike I expect).

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm lazy at heart too so I usually try and find some kind of errand that needs done.... says me who hasn't been out on my bike since the weekend :evil:

Top Bottom