Low viz hi viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

There are a couple of old boys who must live near me as I regularly see them riding together. I always nod or call out good morning but they always ignore me. Saw them tonight riding along Commonside Road in Harlow. I was in a car approaching them. It was nearly dark and they didn't have a light between them, either front or back. They had yellow jackets on, but they were very dirty and the effectiveness of the visibility was considerably reduced. In the general gloom they were "lost" against car headlights and parked cars and street furniture etc, It bought home to me the importance of good lights and keeping my Hi-Viz clean.

(I can say "old boys", I am one myself)!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I recently wrote a blog entry about hi-viz, and how it really isn't effective at night, especially jackets.
The material works during the day, as it reacts to UV light and outputs it in a wave length we can see. Thus making it stand out due to it's extra brightness when compared to surrounding objects.

But at night time, there isn't an UV light, and the yellow just becomes another colour. A good jacket will have some reflective panels on them, but even then, due to the height of them the car's lights aren't going to hit it properly. It is much better to wear reflective panels on your legs and ankles as they stand out a lot more.

Read the study about this

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I recently bought a hi viz jacket and after reading Gaz's blog I am not sure that I should of bothered. The time when I think it might be beneficial, although I may be wrong is when the light is starting to go at dusk possibly. It still looks pretty bright to me then. Still I have went for some reflective arm/leg bands and a rucksack cover that has loads of reflective strips on it, and 2 decent rear lights and 2 not bad front ones.

carpiste

Guru
I bought reflective strips which I cut up and stuck to the back of my helmet.I also bought some very cheap reflective tubes you fix to your spokes and add further strips to my saddle bag.But of course the best thing is to get some really good lights,back and front.

tyred

Legendary Member
 The type of hi-vis clothing sold in hardware shops for builders or whatever is extremely visible while driving at night in my experience. The stuff sold in cycle shops is considerably more expensive and nowhere near as effective from what I've seen. The reflective strips aren't big enough (I think) but it's still a help. 

aberal

Guru
I sometimes think it doesn't matter how visible you make yourself. You could wear all of the Blackpool illuminations on your back, yet some of these eedjit buggers coccooned in their own world in their cars still wouldn't see you.

ACS

Legendary Member
I wore a standard builders type hi-viz / reflective waistcoat until recently. Over lunch someone commented that they had passed me (in a car) on the way home and while my lights were effective, the waist coat was not much use. As I leant forward the reflective strips became almost invisible.

So I have invested in a NITEZONE Courier Reflective Vest and the feedback has been very positive. My 'advisor' has commented that the improvement in visibility is huge.

Normal caveats : no connection to any company or seller, no financial interests in the product, just a rider trying to stay alive on a dark rural commute.

tyred

Legendary Member
I definitely notice jackets while driving but they are above the line of the headlamps. Hi-vis trousers would probably be more useful to both cyclists and pedestrians. Normal pedals with reflectors can be good but are too easily obscured, if riding with panniers or any shoe with a clearly defined heel, unlike something like trainers which have flat soles.

mgarl10024

Über Member
I recently wrote a blog entry about hi-viz, and how it really isn't effective at night, especially jackets.

With my limited experience, I would tend to disagree.
A few weeks back, I was at some lights. It was about 6pm and pretty dark. About 20-30meters ahead, crossing my path, was a cycle path which I was heading for.
Whilst waiting, number of cyclists came along the path, crossing my field of view, some 20 meters away. I noticed the ones in hi-viz jackets very quickly, and then by chance spotted (only just) that there were a few 'ninjas' in between them. The ones with jackets were several times more noticeable, and that was only from street lighting and random car lights from the junction.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Glue can seriously weaken motorcycle helmets, I suspect its the same with bicycle ones.

I doubt it, unless it is a hard shell one. Mine has a purely aesthetic plastic cover, and therefore doesn't matter if it is weakened. Underneath is polystyrene foam, and any weakening will be very local, and therefore not a problem.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

The gentlemen I referred to in my OP were not wearing reflective gear, just yellow jackets without reflective stripes. Traffic was fairly slow so I had time to watch them and observe. Why I was sufficiently interested to mention them was because I wear a bright yellow jacket and hadn't appreciated just how little use they are when dulled by dirt and in poor light. I do have reasonable lights though. I don't often ride in the dark thankfully, but when I do I wear hi-viz complete with reflective strips.

Lilylass

The type of hi-vis clothing sold in hardware shops for builders or whatever is extremely visible while driving at night in my experience. The stuff sold in cycle shops is considerably more expensive and nowhere near as effective from what I've seen. The reflective strips aren't big enough (I think) but it's still a help.

From a chance meeting/chat with a colleague on the stairs yesterday, I found out that I can order from our work supplier, Arco, even though it's for personal use (obviously I have to pay for the items myself).

If anyone's thinking of getting a "workmans" jacket for cycling it might be worth checking if you organisation lets you do the same, as we get a pretty big discount.

decca234uk

That's a nice report Gaz, very interesting, contains some things I wasn't aware of. Thanks, might do a post on that later on.

taxing

Interesting. I was thinking of making one of these (don't judge) using the reflective strips nicked off a builders vest but was worried about it not having the fluorescent bit.