Cycling and Pain from Blood Clot in leg. ( Originally: Lower back pain)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had back ache for 2 weeks now (not from cycling).
A week last Friday I saw physio.
Last week pain moved from my thigh joint to one spot at the top of my leg near my groin.

Absolutely kills when I get up, and I cannot stand straight. Sitting helps.
As the day goes by it eases off, but not by much.

I tried back pedalling on Friday and it didn't hurt. Would it be ok for me to cycle short distances?

Last week pain moved from my thigh joint to one spot at the top of my leg near my groin.

I tried back pedalling on Friday and it didn't hurt. Would it be ok for me to cycle short distances?
Only a qualified medical practitioner can answer that. But if they agree, and you set the bike up to minimise the strain on the Sciatic nerve, I can’t see why not.

Slick

Guru

Obviously everyone is different and I've had back problems for a number of years due to lots 9f heavy work, but now most of my back pain comes from my legs. More specifically calfes, which in turn pulls your whole body down on one side. See a doc, but for me, the pain killers they dish out were useless, but a chiropractor would always help ease the pain. Not everyone's cup of tea, but works for me every time.

OP
OP
F
Obviously everyone is different and I've had back problems for a number of years due to lots 9f heavy work, but now most of my back pain comes from my legs. More specifically calfes, which in turn pulls your whole body down on one side. See a doc, but for me, the pain killers they dish out were useless, but a chiropractor would always help ease the pain. Not everyone's cup of tea, but works for me every time.

I was given some Naproxen with some anti-gastro tabs. Let's just say I had to stop them both only 1.5 days as my stomach didn't agree with them.
I'm taking co-codamol, but they're useless for the pain I'm experiencing.

Slick

Guru
I was given some Naproxen with some anti-gastro tabs. Let's just say I had to stop them both only 1.5 days as my stomach didn't agree with them.
I'm taking co-codamol, but they're useless for the pain I'm experiencing.
I'm not sure why exactly, but none of these tablets ever helped me. My BIL is American, and once gave me some kind of muscle relaxant, which worked a treat. Not everyone agrees with me, but if I was you, I would find a good chiropractor.

hoopdriver

Guru
As above. I have had some quite severe back problems in the past, specifically a badly ruptured disc that required emergency surgery. I came back from that, and cycle long distances regularly now, pain free. Good advice from a physio and a dedicated application to a rehab/stretching regime was crucial though. See a physio before things get to the surgery stage and follow their advice.

OP
OP
F
Thank you for the comments.

Figured out that I dare not go out on my bike at this present time.

First time I've suffered from back pain. It actually started when I had flu and one evening I was that 'out of it' that I went to the loo and thought I was going to throw up, so I kneeled beside the toilet, but nothing came out. I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds and when I opened them I was on the floor. Same thing happened when I sat on the edge of the bath, next thing I knew I was in the bath! Took me a while to get out!!
I didn't feel any pain, other than I walked quickly to my bed and plonked down sweating and I had a rather high temperature!

Next day I rang work and told them that I wouldn't be in, a few hours later I had a phone call to say that I was sacked from being off with flu! So wasn't happy about that.

Anyway. That day I felt that the bottom of my spine wasn't right but couldn't quite pinpoint where the dull ache was coming from. I had physio the week after.
She gave me 2 exercises to do each day.

In the weekend the pain moved to one spot at the top of my leg near my groin. Now it's moved all over my upper leg. I can hardly walk, nor can I stand up straight, when I get up in the morning. Doing the exercises have become difficult. Dad says I should go for a short walk every day, but he doesn't understand that I can hardly walk. I DO know that sitting on my pc doesn't help whatsoever but I still do it anyway.

Since Friday, I've felt weak at 8pm, so been going to bed at that time. I can't sleep on my right side, so have to sleep on my bad side (left leg) and I'm sure it doesn't do it any good. Only thing is that I always change sides when I'm asleep.
Laying down on the bed is difficult and I have to put my leg up first so that it gets used to it. After I get up in the morning, I sit down to go downstairs and then I sit in the living room for a while before I think about having any breakfast.

Yes I need to go back to the docs because I'm in agony and I need to think about changing from being on jobseeker's allowance to moving onto employment support allowance. (Lucky for me, my next appointment at the job center is in Thursday and in the morning at 9:30am. God Help Me. Oh and I have a flat tyre, so have to pump that da*n thing up first)

Rant over.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see the doctor asap. Don't cycle so no need to worry about the tyre

U

User6179

Thank you for the comments.

Figured out that I dare not go out on my bike at this present time.

First time I've suffered from back pain. It actually started when I had flu and one evening I was that 'out of it' that I went to the loo and thought I was going to throw up, so I kneeled beside the toilet, but nothing came out. I closed my eyes for a couple of seconds and when I opened them I was on the floor. Same thing happened when I sat on the edge of the bath, next thing I knew I was in the bath! Took me a while to get out!!
I didn't feel any pain, other than I walked quickly to my bed and plonked down sweating and I had a rather high temperature!

Next day I rang work and told them that I wouldn't be in, a few hours later I had a phone call to say that I was sacked from being off with flu! So wasn't happy about that.

Anyway. That day I felt that the bottom of my spine wasn't right but couldn't quite pinpoint where the dull ache was coming from. I had physio the week after.
She gave me 2 exercises to do each day.

In the weekend the pain moved to one spot at the top of my leg near my groin. Now it's moved all over my upper leg. I can hardly walk, nor can I stand up straight, when I get up in the morning. Doing the exercises have become difficult. Dad says I should go for a short walk every day, but he doesn't understand that I can hardly walk. I DO know that sitting on my pc doesn't help whatsoever but I still do it anyway.

Since Friday, I've felt weak at 8pm, so been going to bed at that time. I can't sleep on my right side, so have to sleep on my bad side (left leg) and I'm sure it doesn't do it any good. Only thing is that I always change sides when I'm asleep.
Laying down on the bed is difficult and I have to put my leg up first so that it gets used to it. After I get up in the morning, I sit down to go downstairs and then I sit in the living room for a while before I think about having any breakfast.

Yes I need to go back to the docs because I'm in agony and I need to think about changing from being on jobseeker's allowance to moving onto employment support allowance. (Lucky for me, my next appointment at the job center is in Thursday and in the morning at 9:30am. God Help Me. Oh and I have a flat tyre, so have to pump that da*n thing up first)

Rant over.

You could Google this and see if it applies to you "pelvic tilt sacroiliac pain"

What are the symptoms of sacroiliac joint dysfunction?
Chief Complaints:
  • Lower back pain (below L5)
  • Sensation of lower extremity: pain, numbness, tingling, weakness.
  • Pelvis / buttock pain.
  • Hip / groin pain.
  • Feeling of leg instability (buckling, giving way)
  • Disturbed sleep patterns due to pain.
  • Disturbed sitting patterns (unable to sit for long periods, sitting on one side)

vickster

Legendary Member
You could Google this and see if it applies to you "pelvic tilt sacroiliac pain"

What are the symptoms of sacroiliac joint dysfunction?
Chief Complaints:
  • Lower back pain (below L5)
  • Sensation of lower extremity: pain, numbness, tingling, weakness.
  • Pelvis / buttock pain.
  • Hip / groin pain.
  • Feeling of leg instability (buckling, giving way)
  • Disturbed sleep patterns due to pain.
  • Disturbed sitting patterns (unable to sit for long periods, sitting on one side)
and then see a medical professional

I get left sided SIJ pain and have never had the level of pain the OP describes?

That could also be a slipped disc or a myriad other things which is also why seeing someone is sensible and not just relying on Dr Google or a bunch of cyclists :smile:

U

User6179

I had exactly this a few years ago with exactly the symptoms the OP is describing.

Took me ages to go to the physio, didn't quite believe in them, thought it was just quackery. How wrong was I. She was brilliant, gave me a load of exercises, changed my driving position and all sorts of advice. No pain since.

Sitting at my PC after cycling is what I think caused my problems, the chair had no real back support and I was sitting hunched on my left side, stretching with my back supported and a new chair with good back support sorted me out.

U

User6179

Half my last post to you disappeared for some reason.

Pelvic tilt causes Sacroiliac pain but it can also causes Sciatica pain, I had the mild dull ache of sacroiliac pain like yourself but occasionally would get Sciatic pain when moving especially first thing in the morning when getting out of bed.

Top Bottom