Cycling and Pain from Blood Clot in leg. ( Originally: Lower back pain)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F
if it doesn't hurt do it

If you mean to go cycling, I can't.

I have been suffering from a lot of pain since the beginning of last week and I can hardly walk, I can't walk far, I cannot stand in one place for long and I cannot bear any weight on the leg. It's that bad I'm using a walking stick whenever I go out of the house.

I'm experiencing a lot of pain because my hamstring is tight and I cannot straighten my leg.

So basically I have to put cycling on hold for quite a while til my leg gets better.

As vickster says, because I have a blood clot I have to get some advice before I start cycling again.

Slick

Guru
If you mean to go cycling, I can't.

I have been suffering from a lot of pain since the beginning of last week and I can hardly walk, I can't walk far, I cannot stand in one place for long and I cannot bear any weight on the leg. It's that bad I'm using a walking stick whenever I go out of the house.

I'm experiencing a lot of pain because my hamstring is tight and I cannot straighten my leg.

So basically I have to put cycling on hold for quite a while til my leg gets better.

As vickster says, because I have a blood clot I have to get some advice before I start cycling again.
Sorry to hear of your plight David, GWS.

Alan O

Über Member
Another update

Hospital yesterday and I have a blood clot at the top of my leg. Just what I didn't want to hear. So, I'm on anticoagulants for some months.
Ach, that's not nice to know - but at least it's better than having a blood clot and not knowing :rolleyes:

I know it's a pain not being able to get out cycling (especially as the weather is improving) - I've been laid up for a week with sciatic nerve pain and it's very frustrating.

But obviously, with a clot, it's important not to take any risks and to strictly follow what the doc says. And gws, of course.

OP
OP
F
Update:
Foot swelled up 24th Feb, went to docs following Monday. Then calf swelled to a balloon this Saturday, went to docs yesterday and gave me some water tablets. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

I finish my first dose of anticoagulant tablets tomorrow, then going on to a weaker dose. Hospital appointment at end of this month to check bloods and try and find out why I got the clot.

I'm getting better every week.

Dying to get back on the saddle!!!

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have been having issues with my back, I gave up weightlifting as I was strong, but my core wasn't.

This has affected me since, I had lots of physio and it disbanded the issue. I had a slightly wonky little joint in the back, I seem to be having more issues with my hip now if anything - it only started on Monday. Its only on the left side and I don't really notice - until I put weight on the hip side specificially or walking up stairs - it feels more tired. I HATE it. I am waiting till my physio comes back from holiday.

OP
OP
F
Update: Two weeks dose of water retention tablets nearly over and my calf/foot is still swollen. Sick of being inside, so next week, depending on the weather, I'm going to try and get out on the bike.

May have to go back to the docs to see about the swelling.

OP
OP
F
Been to docs and can't do anything about it, just have to keep walking and putting my foot up for most of the day and let it cure by itself. It's going to be a while until I'm ready to work again. I've said it once and I'm going to say it again - I hate this year.

Stevieg

I've had back ache for 2 weeks now (not from cycling).
A week last Friday I saw physio.
Last week pain moved from my thigh joint to one spot at the top of my leg near my groin.

Absolutely kills when I get up, and I cannot stand straight. Sitting helps.
As the day goes by it eases off, but not by much.

I tried back pedalling on Friday and it didn't hurt. Would it be ok for me to cycle short distances?
My chiropractor told me as long as its not hurting keep doin it.i have worn discs amd small joints are wearing..after a cycle a get a bit tight but a few stretches does the trick..

vickster

Legendary Member
My chiropractor told me as long as its not hurting keep doin it.i have worn discs amd small joints are wearing..after a cycle a get a bit tight but a few stretches does the trick..
The OP has a blood clot not back problem

@DavidS might be worth editing the thread title :smile:

OP
OP
F
Can't see find the option. I'll just leave it.

I bet there's quite a few out there who don't read the whole thread before placing a comment.

OP
OP
F
Been wearing a compression stocking on the leg for the past 2 weeks. Been great. The swelling has now gone. Just unsure when to start looking for another job.

I have a week in Scotland coming up in May, so maybe after then.

Serge

Über Member
Why is it that I can spend eight hours in the saddle cycling 100 miles with no problem, yet half an hour on the floor playing Lego with my daughter and I need a Zimmer frame to get to the toilet?

I believe some analgesic Shiraz is required.

Robmac

I've just come back from the Majorca 167 - my first longer distance cycle. The legs were fine but my ass and lower back killed me and I had numb bum and dead dick most of the way, which really slowed me down. What should I do to fix this? Is it seat position, wrong seat, bad cycling shorts or what? I'm six foot six and maybe I need a longer stem/higher handle bars? Advice please!!

Top Bottom