Lunch ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm stuck in a rut with lunch ideas and end up buying pre-prepared sandwiches which are expensive and aren't helping to shift weight...

I'm cycling 10 miles each way to work between 2 and 4 times per week but can't necessarily predict the days. In terms of food preparation area; I have a fridge a kettle and my desk...

Because I can't predict the days I'll be in, I need things that are long lasting or can be bought in small enough quantities to be used in one day.

I'm in Levenshulme and there aren't any places (that I know of) that sell anything both healthy and appealling enough to eat.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The tins of Princes mackerel in spicy tomato sauce are great mixed with cold pasta, great nutritional value in both.

garrilla

I have salad every day, which i make up fresh, with a roll. The 'kitchen' fridge has a salad tray at the bottom which no one uses so I store the stuff there. I will have cheeder cheese, feta cheese or tuna with it. I do all the 'chopping' into the bowl.

Not sure I'd find it filling enough I tend to be pretty hungry by mid morning...

I find its better to have lunch after morning, and also if you want to lose weight, as per your OP, then at some points you must stop feeding the hunger. Excercise is the compliment to portion control if you want to reduce the bulk.

Crankarm

Guru
garrilla said:
I have salad every day, which i make up fresh, with a roll. The 'kitchen' fridge has a salad tray at the bottom which no one uses so I store the stuff there. I will have cheeder cheese, feta cheese or tuna with it. I do all the 'chopping' into the bowl.

I find its better to have lunch after morning, and also if you want to lose weight, as per your OP, then at some points you must stop feeding the hunger. Excercise is the compliment to portion control if you want to reduce the bulk.

So true. Burn off more energy than is taken in. It worked dramatically for Stephen Fry and Michael Winner.

My suggestion - Marmite sandwiches on wholemeal bread and then a banana or two. Water.

OP
OP
amasidlover
garrilla said:

Naturally - I don't actually have lunch til lunchtime, so spend a good portion of morning hungry (and therefore losing weight is my understanding)... I suspect the soup is an entirely personal thing, I feel more satisfied/full after a salad than a soup - even when the salad has less calorific value...

Salad would be my preferred option, but I find that the size of salad ingredients (i.e. whole lettuce, half cucumber etc..) means they go off before I finish them and I hate throwing food away...

garrilla

amasidlover said:
Naturally - I don't actually have lunch til lunchtime, so spend a good portion of morning hungry (and therefore losing weight is my understanding)... I suspect the soup is an entirely personal thing, I feel more satisfied/full after a salad than a soup - even when the salad has less calorific value...

Salad would be my preferred option, but I find that the size of salad ingredients (i.e. whole lettuce, half cucumber etc..) means they go off before I finish them and I hate throwing food away...

Me too, and I never do. However, I don't buy a big lettuce but treat myself to a bag of baby leaf (£1 in tescos) and make it last all week.

karlos_the_jackal

Work in progress
This is a good thread. I have cup a soups at my desk(although they are probably out of date)

If you can you could possibly make some homemade soup and bring it in a flask. Its a bit more bulked up than usual soups. Depends on what time your eating and how many snacks your having during the day to fill it out.

You are a miracle of modern science as technically a soup should make you feel fuller than a salad.

rh100

Do you have a microwave at work? I keep a few tins of big soup (very filling) or tomato soup, along with a bowl and cutlery etc. empty into the bowl and 2.5 mins in the MW, sorted. Usually take a salad and sandwiches though.

OP
OP
amasidlover
No microwave sadly and I'm running out of space to put one... I like the idea of salad and if I was in the office 5 days a week it would probably be the winner - currently noodles are looking very good, my former university colleadues from Kuala Lumpur used to buy instant ones in bulk from the chinese supermarket, much nicer than pot noodle and I'd completely forgotten until this thread reminded me.

leighd

Must admit. I'm a soup for lunch man.

Suffer from the mid morning hunger pangs, I try to ignore them. Sometimes a peppermint tea helps. I gave up tea and coffee at work because people always bring biscuits in (they don't go with herbal teas).

I have lunch at or just after twelve, then a banana at four an hour before I set off for home. Portion control in the evening has also helped (half what I used to eat) :smile:. I save the rest for the next evening.

Top Bottom