Lying gits!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I am so :biggrin:

Got a letter from my Solicitor today saying that the other side are completely denying liability.

If you don't remember me moaning on about it before I was filtering (on the left) up to an ASL at the lights at a crossroads when the passenger opened the door on me.

The car was actually a good 2 and a half feet away from the kerb, not indicating their intentions in any way and I managed to swerve out of the way of the door enough to not go over it and actually just hit the side of it instead and I fell onto the kerb. I was doing about 8 mph. They were on double yellows and there were railings.

At the time they were really apologetic blah blah blah... now though they say that they were only 18 inches from the kerb, they were pulled in way closer than the car in front and they were indicating left!

They say that I had absolutely no regard for my safety and was "desperate to get to the front of the traffic queue no matter what!"

Cheeky sods. Hubby and I parked our car 18 inches from the kerb tonight and put my bike in the gap between the car and the kerb. It fitted - just - my bike is 18 inches wide. There was no room for me though to get on the bike!

We put a tape measure by it and took a photo for my statement! Then we parked our car 2 and a half feet away from the kerb and showed how you could easily cycle there!

There is nothing in the highway code that says that it is illegal to filter through on the left (believe me if there was they would have quoted it at me) but there is plenty to say that cyclist will be going to the front of a queue where there is an ASL and plenty to say that passengers should check for cyclists before they open their door.

They have quoted rule 72 at me - saying that cyclist should not be undertaking where a car is turning left.

Nobody in their right mind would do that would they? Bloody liar wasn't turning left - he didn't turn left afterward because I watched him going straight on.

I also see him every flipping evening and morning going straight on at those lights!

*and breath!!*

They want me to take 50% of what they say I am entitled to as it was 50% my fault!

The only good thing is that my Solicitor is adamant that it is not my fault and that they knew there was an ASL line there and that it was likely that cyclists would be heading for it!

Oh - oh - and the best one is they say that the passenger checked before she opened the door! WHAT? Did I just materialise out of thin air after she opened it then!!!!!! :blush:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Standard ass-covering and bargaining. Remember that right and wrong are not relevant in an insurance claim. You're negotiating. Its like getting a pay rise or buying a 2nd hand car. I had some of this for my filmed accident when they tried to claim contributory negligence for not wearing hi-viz (on a bright day) and no helmet (no head injuries).

You should fight for a better deal, but what does your brief say?

Archie

Errrr.....
It's annoying, but let your solicitor deal with it. It sounds like (s)he knows they're trying it on, and their statements don't add up so the other parties credibility will suffer as a result.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is normal.... most folk lie....I had one years back, the thing that helped was the side impact damage to my rear stay - if I had ridden into the car then it would have been pushed back, not inwards.....

All to save no claims.... stick to your story, send the pics in....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
+1 to what Bollo said.

You might like to video him driving straight on, btw. It'll raise the eye of scepticism about his other claims if it does go to court.

PBancroft

Happens all the time. My other half was involved in a crash a few years back when someone pulled out of a junction into her. They claimed it was her fault because she didn't have her lights on.

It was mid day.

Kaipaith said:
Happens all the time. My other half was involved in a crash a few years back when someone pulled out of a junction into her. They claimed it was her fault because she didn't have her lights on.

It was mid day.

My wife had an ITN owned car pull out of a parking space into her car whilst she was stationary.

Firstly they claimed that she had driven into their vehicle and then threatened to sue us for defamation of their employee. THis was despite three witness statements.

It took nine months of threats trying to get us to drop the case before they eventually paid up.

Origamist

Legendary Member
As others have said, this is all part and parcel of an insurance claim -try not to take it too personally.

It's too late for you RC, but if others find themselves in the this situation, try and take a picture of the position of the vehicle if you're able (or ask someone else to).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Or, acting as an Official Magnatom Certified Premium Reseller..........get a helmet cam!

simoncc

I been through this too. The other side claimed I was 100% to blame, then 50% then 20%. At 20% my solicitor told me to accept the compensation offer. I did even though I know I was 0% to blame.

Just go through the legal motions.

We were lucky as I have always kept a small "disposable party" camera in the car for these reasons. SImply rattle off as many pohotos as you can BEFORE any vehicles have moved.

I had a friend who had a car pull out of a crossroads and hit him in the side.

THey moved the cars to free the junction....

The other driver then tried to shift the blame stating that my friend had pulled out in front of him puling out of the opposite junction into his path!

Using the cars new positions he then told Police this was what had hapened!

Luckily the Police looked atthe braking marks and glass, so were able to prove the correct version, but be careful!

Bollo said:
Or, acting as an Official Magnatom Certified Premium Reseller..........get a helmet cam!

Bah! I never get any thanks or money for all of the sales I generate...:smile::smile:

TRC, I can only add my weight to what the others have said. This is a perfectly normal way for the insurance company to react. It is horrible, and wrong, but that's the system.

You get payback when you eventually screw them for a fortune! :smile:

Stan

Typical of todays society. No one accepts responsibility for their actions anymore. Creates jobs for lawyers and generally ends up costing everyone more, not just in terms of hard cash but by creating additional stress.

I had a third party's insurance company wanting to put 20% blame on me after the insured pulled out on me from a side street. This was based on a witness statement. I proved that the witnesses version of events could not have happened and won 100% of the claim for the damage and recovered my £100 excess. I kept getting calls from another company wanting me to claim compensation they say they could get a couple of thousand for me. As I only suffered minor injuries I told them where to get off. The system is full of sharks wishing to profit from other peoples misfortunes and allowing f**kwits to make spurious claims.

Go for it and fight the b**stards!

Top Bottom