M Steel Cycles ceases trading.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
The cycling scene has changed in the last decade. Shops that move with the times will thrive, those who don't will die. You've got to do more than just flog bikes and bits now, proper bike fits for one, catering for female cyclists in ways other than just offering them a pink bike and getting involved in popular activities like sportives are the way forward.

Steels did all that. And more.

Yeah sad that its gone. Just round the corner from 'the Ministry' where I worked so used to pop in every now and then.
Once won a £450 bike from them in a competition. It was the most anticlimatic underwhelming thing ever. had a phone call from them saying I had won, would I like to pop in, went to pick it up and the junior behind the desk said oh aye, this one, gave me it and then left me to it...not sure what I expected, and really dont want to sound ungrateful but I thought I might get a handshake, or a well done, or...just something, but he just passed me the bike then went about serving someone else. it kinda summed up the impression I had from my dealings with the shop (whether rightly or wrongly) that it was just there to cater for the 'proper' cyclists, bit of an elite shop. If you asked me to explain why in all honesty I couldnt, just an impression formed :-(
Still sad to see any LBS hit the wall tho...

Ajax Bay

Guru
In the last 2 years, we have had at least 3 new bike shops open up in Exmouth, besides the 2 long existing (and excellent) ones: Knobblies and Exmouth Cycles
There is a well known chain shop beyond the edge of town too, with their first floor devoted to cycles.
There was one for a few years on the 'Strand': Bikelands - but on checking I find it closed in January (more style than bikes tbh).
I hope all the start-ups make it: they'll need good luck as well as enthusiasm, knowledge and industry: Roots , Bike Worx , Xodus

djhep

Über Member
Oh no......just seen this now. :sad:
Steeles are my local bike shop, where I bought my first "real" racing bike from them back in 80's.
I still have it, and also another Joe Waugh bike.
It's a real shame for all the staff working there, I hope they all get fixed up quickly.

BorderReiver

Veteran
This is sad news- I bought a Dave Yates audax frame from them about 20 years ago (it had 9-speed Ultegra and a triple chainset- that old). The bike was still going strong when I sold it about 3 years ago.

Looking more to the future, where I live (Skipton, North Yorkshire) there are two small, independent, cycle maintenance operations within 3 miles of me. Neither do much in the way of sales (although they will order components for you) and neither sell complete bikes or accessories. However, the spanner wizards (they are so much more than "mechanics") who operate them really, really, know their stuff and are happy to fit and service components you have bought elsewhere.

Maybe this is the future of the LBS in the UK?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Seems like these old family bike shops will continue to die out as long as the living is so meagre because nobody wants to inherit a struggling business. I know of one that has closed recently in Clitheroe and another that's about to close in Ramsbottom, the latter because the owner simply isn't making a living in the face of competition from the internet. To add insult to injury people often buy parts on the web then ask him to fit them. On top of that he can't get any decent bike brands because there are already bigger local dealers.

Only the bike supermarkets will survive thanks to economies of scale and a few independents that make a really big effort like Green Jersey in Clitheroe, or shops like Harry Hall in Manchester or Ride On in Rossendale who benefit from high footfall. .

Which is why I never buy anything from the internet that I can purchase at Ewood Bikes in Blackburn. A fantastic LBS run by Ian Kay which I’d like to add to the short list of Lancashire’s finest.

I can drop in to Ewood Bikes anytime for coffee, a chat about recent cycling exploits, advice, repair or a new bike. It usually takes me six months to decide on which bike to buy and Ian happily and patiently guides me, and all his customers, to what they need rather than what they think they need!! Two very different things.

For those lucky enough to to live in Lancashire The Bike Cabin in Chorley is highly recommended by all my friends in Chorley Cycling Club though I’ve never been there myself. See above.

I learned recently the salaries offered to mechanics by a well known cycle retailer. It was depressingly low.

My only experience of M Steel as a customer: I walked in wearing all the gear and wheeling a £3500 mountain bike (which were few and far between in the North East in 1995) I wandered around. Twice. Even loitered next to the counter, in an effort to capture some eye contact, but all four of the staff members studiously avoided engaging with me. Not so much as a glance in my direction. It wasn't even that they were a road bikes only shop, they had a line up of custom built Yates' mountain bikes.

Obviously you can't judge 20 years of a bike shop's existence on the basis of one snapshot visit. But it stuck with me. I use the experience in bike shop retail staff training to this day.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it kinda summed up the impression I had from my dealings with the shop (whether rightly or wrongly) that it was just there to cater for the 'proper' cyclists, bit of an elite shop. If you asked me to explain why in all honesty I couldnt, just an impression formed :-(
Still sad to see any LBS hit the wall tho...

I visited only once but came away with a similar view.

jay clock

Massive member
I do try and keep my LBSs in business (two in town, both part of a chain each with about three stores in the area)

Two issues I have. 1) gleefully telling you they can't book you in till Jupiter is in line with Uranus and it is a Leap Year. If always that busy get more staff (maybe an apprentice to do the basics) and 2) when asked about a product "we can get that in for you" meaning "buy off the tinterwebs at more than Wiggle charge and oh, no you can't have a refund.

However they are generally good and worth keeping in business

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My only experience of M Steel as a customer: I walked in wearing all the gear and wheeling a £3500 mountain bike (which were few and far between in the North East in 1995) I wandered around. Twice. Even loitered next to the counter, in an effort to capture some eye contact, but all four of the staff members studiously avoided engaging with me. Not so much as a glance in my direction. It wasn't even that they were a road bikes only shop, they had a line up of custom built Yates' mountain bikes.

Obviously you can't judge 20 years of a bike shop's existence on the basis of one snapshot visit. But it stuck with me. I use the experience in bike shop retail staff training to this day.

I’ve experienced this in many retail outlets, not just bike shops. I never go back.

If you want my business and I need help give me the attention my custom deserves. Even B&Q have cottoned on to this!

Staff don’t seem to understand alienating a customer not only loses that individual but is also likely to spread the word of poor service. The opposite is also very true. It must be the owner/senior management who take the responsibility to sort it out.

In a local pub yesterday the young woman serving stopped pulling our pints to answer the phone. There were 5-6 other staff around. She probably thinks I didn’t notice. I did and four 60+ retired but very active people discussed it. Not ideal. Mind you I know the owner!!

simon.r

Person
Looking more to the future, where I live (Skipton, North Yorkshire) there are two small, independent, cycle maintenance operations within 3 miles of me. Neither do much in the way of sales (although they will order components for you) and neither sell complete bikes or accessories. However, the spanner wizards (they are so much more than "mechanics") who operate them really, really, know their stuff and are happy to fit and service components you have bought elsewhere.

Maybe this is the future of the LBS in the UK?

I’ve said similar on this site before.

I don’t really get the ‘pop into your LBS for a coffee and a chat’ thing. I’d draw an analogy with barbers shops - when I go there I want my haircut, I’m not bothered about drinking coffee, free wi-fi and playing computer games.

It’s so easy to buy bits via the internet, from anywhere in the world, normally at well under the price a LBS would charge, then fit them yourself. If, for whatever reason, you need / want someone else to fit them, then the small bike repair places that are opening up are now filling the void left by the relatively large LBS’s.

There’s one such place near me. They sell a few secondhand bikes and keep stock of basic consumables, but will happily do repairs and fit parts purchased elsewhere. Which is just what I want from a local shop.

tfc03

Veteran
I've been using Steels for nearly 20 years. This is really sad. Its been there since 1894 and so really is genuine local heritage.

The staff historically were a bit intimidating. Not so in the past decade or so, even if some are the same (they have mellowed!). The presence of Joe Waugh in the shop has helped, he exudes a natural warmth and kindness. They also had a very knowledgeable and personable woman working there [yes, really, take note other LBS' it really changes the atmosphere and in a good way!] until recently who was great. I still regret not taking her advice on one occasion, she really did know better than i did what i needed!

It appears from twitter that they regard internet competition as the primary reason for closing, but there are a couple of 'man in a van' repair outfits, who are well regarded, nearby which probably took away a bit of that business too.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’ve said similar on this site before.

I don’t really get the ‘pop into your LBS for a coffee and a chat’ thing. I’d draw an analogy with barbers shops - when I go there I want my haircut, I’m not bothered about drinking coffee, free wi-fi and playing computer games.

It’s so easy to buy bits via the internet, from anywhere in the world, normally at well under the price a LBS would charge, then fit them yourself. If, for whatever reason, you need / want someone else to fit them, then the small bike repair places that are opening up are now filling the void left by the relatively large LBS’s.

There’s one such place near me. They sell a few secondhand bikes and keep stock of basic consumables, but will happily do repairs and fit parts purchased elsewhere. Which is just what I want from a local shop.

For me I value the relationship, friendship in fact, which has built up over 20+ years. I don’t think a price can be put on that or the value of the knowledge I’ve gained from my LBS.

The same LBS which gave me a £160 saddle as a retirement present.

Loyalty is a two way thing which can’t be bought.

Top Bottom