Mad March Hare Sportive 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauln

Anyone else here doing the Mad March Hare Sportive in March? It will be my first sportive, need to get a lot of winter riding in!

Ron Keegan

The Mad March Hare is an ideal introduction to sportives and, although it claims to be a "mini" sportive, the only thing that's small (compared to other events) is the entry fee. There's usually a couple of really testing climbs, with most of the route on quiet and relatively traffic free roads. Considering what you pay, the feeding station is adequately stocked and, although there are few marshals, the way-marking, if a little small, is O.K. if you keep focused. At the finish there's even a bacon bap and hot drink thrown in. The atmosphere is great and the warm welcome from Paul Prince and his team at Cult Racing is second to none. I'm already entered and looking forward to my 4th participation - which says it all really.

Ron Keegan

75 miles is doable in March, provided you've done some basic preparation and ride within your capabilities. I got round last time (73miles) well inside 5hrs 40min (= about 13mph) and was just about O.K. at the end. For me, as a then 72 year old, it was quite a satisfying performance. Don't think I'll better that next March, so I just intend to get round and enjoy the day.

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

Yes, sorry I should have put the link to the web site up.

http://www.madmarchharesportive.co.uk/

There are 44 places left.

I am a little concerned as I have not done that distance in a day before, but I figure that I have the whole day and with the weather as mild as it is at the moment I am getting plenty of 18-20 mile rides in. I also have the turbo trainer to keep things ticking over.

Will1985

Über Member
I'll probably be marshalling again.

Willersey Hill at the bottom end of the route was in the 2010 edition and defeated most people due to the ice - nasty steep thing! (and I'm a hillclimber
rolleyes.gif
)

OP
OP
Pauln

Pauln

I'll probably be marshalling again.

Willersey Hill at the bottom end of the route was in the 2010 edition and defeated most people due to the ice - nasty steep thing! (and I'm a hillclimber
rolleyes.gif
)

Yes, I saw that on the route profile. It does look nasty.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Sold out a while ago. It was good last year, but the day was quite cold and windy and the parts of the route towards Bidford and Broadway were quite tough. Last year the big climb was up Dovers Hill which was used for the national hill climb championships a few months before. I was quite chuffed to make it up without cracking. there were a few pushing and a fair few sailed past me like they were out for an easy spin!!!! The last 15 miles or so are all a steady climb, which is tough once you have 60 miles in your legs I managed it in 4hrs 31mins.
Route is slightly different this year, 2 climbs the 2nd one is Bakers Hill which was used on the Shakespeare 100km ride in September. This one is shorter but quite tough.
A cheaper alternative could be the Beacon RCC Sunrise or Snowdrop Audaxes taking place in February from Hartlebury in Worcestershire only about £8, I have done them previously and they are recommended.

Top Bottom