Mad Volvo day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

During leisurely 30 miler this morning:

It's funny how certain things seem to repeat themselves. I have noticed that open topped Mercedes are usually driven by ugly women for some reason! However today was Volvo day. I can only assume the sun is addling the brains of the drivers. Volvo 1. I was riding along a very narrow lane when around a bend came a Volvo on my side of the road. The driver was chatting merrily away on the phone. From the grass verge where I was forced I called out my doubts about his parents marital status, but he didn't stop. I could have told him the lane was obstructed a few hundred yards along by a council road crew repairing pot holes, but I couldn't be bothered. Volvo 2. I was sitting outside my favourite tea stop when a Volvo went past, and the driver was texting on her phone. I noticed her because she drifted across the road. What made it worse was she had two small kiddies in the back. Volvo 3. I was still at my tea stop when a Volvo pulled up at a T junction. She tried to beat a lorry across the road and failed and the lorry just clipped her rear end, spinning her round. I gave the lorry driver my name and address if he needed a witness. I'm just glad it wasn't a Volvo lorry.

On the way home I saw another ugly woman in a Mercedes. You see these things on a bike. I wonder what nice things they say about me.

corshamjim

Every day is a mad Volvo day isn't it? There's one on my commute in to work which frequently overtakes me just before turning left - not dangerously so but it's darned impolite. I'm pretty sure it's someone only driving a mile down the road to drop their brat off at school too. If I ever get the chance to chat I'll ask the driver if might be better to Sky+ the Jeremy Kyle show rather than having to rush home for it.

Thankfully the Mercedes based just down the road from there isn't a convertible and is usually driven sedately and politely.

Jezston

Über Member
Lots of aggro on the roads yesterday - people honking and shouting at each other, cutting each other up and off, jumping the lights. Glad none of it was directed at me. Couldn't wait to get home.

People seem to be getting generally a lot angrier.

nightoff

On the way to the shops last night I saw a Volvo wait patiently behind a slow moving cyclist until there was a safe passing point. The driver then went on to give a considerate overtake which the cyclist acknowledged with a wave.

Shrim

I find that the majority of Sunday drivers are driving Volvos. IME, Volvo cars biggest selling factor is the safety of their cars, maybe this gives the drivers the comfort that they can be a little reckless.

As for Audi being the new Volvo, be careful, i've just bought one!

Top Bottom