Made my own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Been busy this last 2 weeks. Decided to build myself a swb bent. Got plenty of materials and the like. Bought a 1mtre x 2mtre length of trampoline material, cut to size and webbed the edges and added 32 eyelets. Fixed it to the tubular seat I made and went for a spin around the block.

The bike handles really well and the seat is sturdy / comfortable. Just need to tweek the crank lenght and handlebar height by a few mm's.

Very nice. Very satisfying building something yourself.

OP
OP
bicyclos

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Because of the recent bad weather i was unable to paint the bike until this Sunday which was fantastic. I purchased a while back some acrylic trade paint from Wilcos which I have kept at room temp. On saturday I prepaired the frame and other bits ready for spraying. I was going to use my father in laws garage as a spray booth but come Sunday morning I was able to do the job outside no problems. The main frame got 4 coats of paint and a spray or two of lacquer.

I purchased online some water slide decal paper and designed my own logos for the bike to make it look more finished off if you like. I am pleased with the result so far. The decals will go on after the paint has dried and hardened fully.

OP
OP
bicyclos

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
All finished and ready to ride.....Had a good go on it yesterday and rides well. I am over the moon with it. I will be commuting to work on it shortly after I give it a good test and check over. I have got the seat tensioned just right, I could nod off in it, its that comfy;) Put the decals on and all lacqured up. I had a pair of new rear panniers which would not fit on my other bikes but fit on the steely a treat.

betty swollocks

large member
Congratulations. That's impressive.
Happy riding!

OP
OP
bicyclos

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Many thanks for the feedback:biggrin:

Had another go on the steely after breakfast this morning. I had a good 3/4 hr riding around the block. I must be more relaxed riding the machine because the twitchy steering wasn't evident this time and it just felt natural turning into bends at speed(well not too fast). I fixed and calibrated one of my sigma computers to the bike and a water bottle holder which compliments the bike as well as being practical.

I am in the process of building a MK2 steely which is in the drawing stage at present but all the components, wheels, gears etc will be brand new. Even though I have a small number of df bikes which I will never part with, I can't see me buying a new df bike in the future, only baskets full of components:ohmy: I think I have tapped into a whole new world of cycling.

OP
OP
bicyclos

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Sun Superlight
Brilliant bike, Congratulations, Are you an engineer by any chance?

No, I am not an engineer at all. It was a trade I wanted to go into at 16 but ended up down the Landscaping / Gardening route. I have from a young age (11yrs old) learnt how to repair and tinker with bikes including motorcycles. I only acquired the knowledge of mig welding last October and gained a lot of advice from a welding forum.

I am slowly turning my garage into a decent workshop. Its just money thats slowing me down. I have been using the bike a lot for commuting to work recently and nothing has dropped off yet.....I bought a pair of wrap round bars from Norfolk last week which makes the bike handle better plus made a bracket for the front double pulley so the chain dousnt jump out the pulley when riding over bumps.

regards

Top Bottom