Magic shine problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2good

Got a 900 lum magic shine.bought it lst yr..its stopped working.when i plug the battery in the onoff switch turns red.light dosnt work...anyway of testing if its needs a new battery or if its the light.dnt want 2 buy a battery and thats not the problem.cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Have you charged it? :laugh: you didn't say you have.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you have fully charged it and the light is red that sounds like the battery is cream crackered.
The best way to test it is with another light, if you cannot do that leave your light on and see how long it will last, if it's truly red it should be a quick test.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most likely the battery as they don't have a full balancing circuit, so some of the cells can be over discharged, or over charged, eventually killing them.

Cheap to get another though. Quality is a bit iffy.

I've built a 6xAA units using off the shelf Maplin 6 AA battery packs with rechargeables, then shrink wrapping the MS connectors. I use these on my rear Magicshines - does cut run time in half though, but not much of an issue with the rears - with the front lights it would be a different question. The AA's then need charging in a standard charger.

You can now get new batteries that are fully protected, but they cost a fair amount.

amaferanga

Veteran
I've had problems with the connection between the battery and the light. I changed the connectors in the end and that sorted it. I had the same problem you have and there was nothing wrong with my battery or the light itself.

Broadside

Guru
You can buy a replacement battery pack from the UK Magicshine website for £40 or go to Dealextreme and lookup 82510. This gets you the latest lightest which includes the battery pack for $45, or just over £30. You'll have to wait while it ships but you get a complete new lightest for less than the UK websites charge for just the battery replacement.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Is this likely a problem with just the older battery packs or would it also affect the newer ones that are sealed and waterproof? I'd like to know as I have recently taken delivery of my MJ 808 from DX, with the new style battery, and I don't want it to conk out on me too soon!

BSRU

A Human Being
Is this likely a problem with just the older battery packs or would it also affect the newer ones that are sealed and waterproof? I'd like to know as I have recently taken delivery of my MJ 808 from DX, with the new style battery, and I don't want it to conk out on me too soon!

My Magicshine battery is over a year old, used every work day and it's still going strong.

All lithium-ion batteries deteriorate with age, the rate is accelerated if not looked after properly.

Broadside

Guru
I've got the old style unsealed battery pack (which incidentally is fine in heavy rain), it is 12 months old and has no problem, I still get 3hrs time on max setting.

amaferanga

Veteran
You can buy a replacement battery pack from the UK Magicshine website for £40 or go to Dealextreme and lookup 82510. This gets you the latest lightest which includes the battery pack for $45, or just over £30. You'll have to wait while it ships but you get a complete new lightest for less than the UK websites charge for just the battery replacement.

Wow! When did they get so cheap? I bought mine a couple of years back, but it was way more than that.

Top Bottom