Mainline Steam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Someone mentioned on the TG topic that we should start a train thred, so here it is.

These days, officially, the locos are only allowed to run at a max speed of 75 mph. But, Tornado has run at 95 mph on a test run just after it was built through Durham. The Driver and Inspector were Bo****ked. This speed came to light when the recorder on the class 67 at the back was downloaded a few days after the test run.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFDvKH5rqQ

Here is clip of the A4, Union of South Africa at speed.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lSYDbYrXIo

Arch

Married to Night Train
Phwoar!

It's not just nostalgia is it. It's the noise, and visible moving parts and the sensation of power that you just don't get from a Cross Country Voyager ambling through Leomington Spa.

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 1473379"]
The problem is, as I mentioned elsewhere, that the mainline engines keep failing. The Flying Scotsman is out before it's running properly, there have been more problems with Tornado recently, one of the Brits is out, and they're running short of the class of loco that's used for specials.
[/quote]

If the problem is, as you say, that they are being allowed to cool down, maybe they should just keep them running, pull a few random local services with them. That would be a cool kind of railway ticket lottery!

Scotsman is a money pit anyway, but for a brand new loco to be failing is a bit poor. I suppose they built it to plan, maybe they should have tried to factor in the different type of usage - if it can be factored in.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I live quite close to the West Somerset railway line. I know it's not mainline but there's something very Railway Children about watching the steam trains go by when I'm out walking the dog. Embarrassing really - everybody waves. Just what you need when you're cleaning up after the mutt!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm within a few yards of some of the sidings at Carnforth. I don't see steam going past at speed often, but as I work from home I often hear the sound of one waiting for the 'normal' trains to go through before being allowed to use the up line. Usually have enough time to pop out with a camera, and get covered in steam as they go under the bridge!

The Duchess of Sutherland, last year sometime...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f....1007298977193.2770.1066471215&type=1&theater

Night Train

Maker of Things
Scotsman is a money pit anyway, but for a brand new loco to be failing is a bit poor. I suppose they built it to plan, maybe they should have tried to factor in the different type of usage - if it can be factored in.

Scotsman has to have more work done as the chassis frame is cracked apparently.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Love that mixed freight being pulled by the little fat pannier tank. A proper train set mishmash.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I live quite close to the West Somerset railway line. I know it's not mainline but there's something very Railway Children about watching the steam trains go by when I'm out walking the dog. Embarrassing really - everybody waves. Just what you need when you're cleaning up after the mutt!

I did the Wolsztyn experience a few years back, and yes, EVERYONE waves at you (or more, you wave at everyone :blush:).

Being on the footplate of PKP's OL49-69 at speed on a (real) commuter service whilst it tried to shake itself to pieces was certainly an experience, never mind actually driving and firing it!!

I don't need to go and see mainline steam in the UK now, I have seen the REAL thing in Poland, grime, soot, coal dust, oil, grease and all, not just some museum's little plaything which is always sparkling clean. :becool:

Scotsman has to have more work done as the chassis frame is cracked apparently.

Well, at least they have finally had the balls to paint it something something remotely interesting - I'd love to see it in it's current Wartime black livery!

Top Bottom